Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2010, 12:05 AM

Default Slightly Rude Compressor

I posted this questions a while ago in another forum with no solutions going.

Now I post it here as a plea to modify the plug-in on future versions: Give it a separate threshold control or a gain control capable of upping AND lowering the output level (instead of the make up).

1-After thinking that this compressor was awful on the 2 bus I went on and read the manual and realized that the rudeness control was not the threshold
Now I´m stuck with another problem, worse, if you will... being that the Input is the threshold now when I get the sound I want (with rudeness at 20/30%) the output is clipping crazy...
Why didn´t they include an output level instead of an only-go-up make up gain?
If anyone has any ideas about a workaround to this, I am all ears.
Because I´m surely out of ideas!

The thing is that this particular plug-in overloads the 2 buss before actually doing a dB of compression on low "rudeness" settings (unless you crank the "rudeness" control to very high settings which makes the mix pump like crazy), and since it has no separate threshold or output level there is no way of getting a nice 2 bus thing going on without having so much input that the output is overloading all the time.
Trust me, you don´t need the make up gain control for this plug-in on 2 bus compression! It just seems that the threshhold is too high!
I am sorry, I thought you were familiar with the thing because it was on your website with like-you comments a while ago.
Does anybody remember Erick´s (designer) last name? He was pretty well known (and hated, poor guy) here and on Musicplayer.
I don´t really expect to find a solution, maybe someone to complain to!
This is when you really wish the thing had a hood you could lift to get someone to do a mod.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:56 AM

Default Re: Slightly Rude Compressor

I have no experience with the plugin, but if it lacks a control that lets you reduce its output, pulling pack on the track fader should do the same job.