Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2008, 06:13 PM

Default Presets missing for non-Digidesign plugins

Presets for all plug-ins that are not Digidesign plug-ins show <factory default> and nothing else. Only Digidesign plug-ins are showing presets. I deleted preferences and databases using the Tech Support Utility, and the problem remains. It seems that Pro Tools is looking for the .tfx file extention, but only Digidesign plug-ins use that extension. Is there anyway to get non .tfx presets to be recognized?
Old 12-29-2008, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Presets missing for non-Digidesign plugins

There are a lot of third party plug-ins that don't show presets from the same box where <Factory Default> shows up. It really is up to the third party plug-in developer, not Digi, to make that happen. For instance, PSP, Waves, and Izotope don't use the "Digi format" for presets but McDSP does. Usually, but not always, the third party plug-ins will have their own access to presets (usually another button somewhere on the plug-in).

Which plug-ins can you not find the presets?

Greg
Old 12-29-2008, 09:23 PM

Digi could always go the extra step with a little more plug-in integration testing though, at least if it's claiming to have a flagship sequencing program. Yes, there are some plug-ins such as most Native Instruments ones (with the exception of Pro-53) that have internal selection of presets.

Non-internally, all plug-ins that weren't installed by the Pro Tools 8 media did not have any presets available. Here is a list of some of them:
Trilogy
SampleTank2
Native Instruments Komplete 5 (all instruments)
East West Syphonic Orchestra Silver Edition
Etc.

One solution to obtaining non-user presets that worked for some of them such as Pro-53 was to load them into an instance of Native Instruments Kore. One problem though, is that user-defined presets are usually what are missed most. These are unattainable for some instruments such as Trilogy, SampleTank2 and others.

It should be noted that Cubase and other sequencing programs show presets for all of the plug-ins above. I'm basically trying to make a clean transfer of my tracks from Cubase 4 to Pro-Tools 8 without having to re-tweak the presets I came up with earlier.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:30 PM

I suppose I could replicate the user defined preset settings by analyzing screen shots of the plug-in instances in Cubase...
Old 12-29-2008, 10:44 PM

balveniediggz,

You need to complain to the 3rd party plug-in provider (NI, etc). Their developers have been given the same guidelines as all of the other plug-in developers. They chose not to expose plug-in presets inside PT, not Digi.

Another possible solution for you is to use the Fxpansion VST to RTAS wrapper so you can use these plug-ins as VST's (where you will see the presets) inside PT and save the presets in the .tfx format.

Greg
Old 12-30-2008, 04:38 AM

or you could copy and paste the presets into plug in folder>

program files>common>digidesign>dae >plug in setting

hope this helps
Pt 8, Reason 5, Recycle 2.1, Ableton Live Suite 8.02
Plugs >
All Registered plug in's & Vinyl out the wazoo. Mp3 sucks
Old 12-30-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
balveniediggz,

You need to complain to the 3rd party plug-in provider (NI, etc). Their developers have been given the same guidelines as all of the other plug-in developers. They chose not to expose plug-in presets inside PT, not Digi.

Another possible solution for you is to use the Fxpansion VST to RTAS wrapper so you can use these plug-ins as VST's (where you will see the presets) inside PT and save the presets in the .tfx format.

Greg
The fact that Cubase, Logic, and other sequencers recognize the various preset file formats used by all of these plug-ins instead of one single proprietary format such as tfx suggests that Digi could have done more with integration compatibility, not that the plug-in developers chose to code their products to only work with Cubase, etc. Cubase and these other applications do NOT have a single preset format they need to recognize. They coded their sequencer to recognize the various ones offered.

I've already used Fxpansion VST to RTAS wrapper, otherwise I wouldn't have even seen any of the VSTs in Pro Tools. Using the wrapper allows you to use the VSTs as RTASs, and you cannot see the presets. You can, however, save new user presets in Pro Tools but this defeats my stated objective of making a "clean transfer of my tracks from Cubase 4 to Pro-Tools 8 without having to re-tweak the presets I came up with earlier".
Old 12-30-2008, 07:42 AM

I thought the same thing, Ozone 3's presents vanished after I upgraded to PT8, they where there the day before with PT7.4. Then I read the manual for Ozone and looked to see where it stores its presets. Then I dropped Ozone onto a track, clicked "select preset folder", pointed it to the correct location, and I had all of my presets back.

Now, what this suggests is that the PT8 install somehow screwed up the mapping for non-digi plugin presets. It wouldnt hurt to investigate how you can point your non-digi plugins to their presets, post-PT8 install.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbag View Post
or you could copy and paste the presets into plug in folder>

program files>common>digidesign>dae >plug in setting

hope this helps
I already tried that - it doesn't work because the plug-in presets are not using the tfx file format which is the only one Pro Tools recognizes.

It is possible that re-installing some of them, and selecting to install as RTAS instead of just VST could resolve the issue, although it's a shot in the dark whether or not tfx format presets would be created... and it's a rather painstaking process...
Old 12-30-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSnakes007 View Post
I thought the same thing, Ozone 3's presents vanished after I upgraded to PT8, they where there the day before with PT7.4. Then I read the manual for Ozone and looked to see where it stores its presets. Then I dropped Ozone onto a track, clicked "select preset folder", pointed it to the correct location, and I had all of my presets back.

Now, what this suggests is that the PT8 install somehow screwed up the mapping for non-digi plugin presets. It wouldnt hurt to investigate how you can point your non-digi plugins to their presets, post-PT8 install.
I've tried this with a few plug-ins like Pro-53 and it didn't work, but I will take another look at it tonight. Do you happen to know the file extension for the Ozone presets?