How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2018, 02:15 PM

Default No audio w/Hardware I/O Insert

Hello all-

First-time poster, and new ProTools user (just recently made the switch from Sonar). I am having some challenges with successfully setting up a hardware outboard compressor to use as an I/O insert in PT. I have an FNR RNC connected as a mono hardware insert on my Clarett 8PreX. I'm going Out from channel 5 on the Clarett into Left Mono In on the FNR. Left Mono Out from the FNR is going into Line In channel 5 on the Clarett. I created an insert path in PT I/O Insert tab for channel 5 Mono and named it RNC. When I add it as an I/O insert it on a track, I lose audio output for the track on playback. When I remove the I/O insert from the track, the audio is back.

So the main question is "why no audio?", but another possibly related question is:

- When I open the I/O settings in ProTools and go to the Inserts tab, should I already see all available Inserts the Clarett would have available? When I set the above Insert up, I only saw Stereo 1/2, and had to add a new Insert path for Channel 5 mono for the RNC. Is that what should be the case?

Side note: I did Search on the Forum and found this thread that didn't have a solution:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...ardware+insert

Thanks in advance for any additional troubleshooting advice/thoughts!

Larry M
ProTools 2018
Clarett 8PreX
Glyph Studio & Blackbox Pro Drives
Old 05-02-2018, 02:26 PM

Default Re: No audio w/Hardware I/O Insert

Set I/o inserts to default.

Also check if the audio cables are good.

Post a picture with your I/o inserts and the mixer.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:24 PM

So I had to take a few hours to understand the monitor mixing software that came with my PreSonus Studio 192. I was looking at the Clarett 8PreX as first choice and only reason I did not get it was my Mac Pro does not have thunderbolt. I understand the 8PreX it has some similar monitor mixing software. So I would say check that you have things routed properly there as well. To me, it was strange to have this extra level of routing to consider because it made using hardware inserts a little more complicated. I was having a slightly different issue where I was wondering why I was getting the entire stereo mix going through my outboard compressors when all I was doing was for example compressing the kick drum with an insert on that track. So you may very well have things routed that will not allow audio to pass through the particular signal chain for your outboard gear.

Also the other poster is right about clicking "set I/O to default". When I had to do this it actually added several I/O that were not initially recognized
Old 05-02-2018, 04:34 PM

Are the input and output in use for insert ALSO available as a separate input and output? Just wondering if that could be the issue. On my rig, my hardware inserts are not available on the input or output lists(IOW, ONLY available as an insert path)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-04-2018, 03:58 PM

Hello all-

Thanks for the replies and assistance! Setting I/O to Default was the missing link! It is working AOK as far as I can tell now. The only weird thing now is that when I insert the RNC on a track, it significantly reduces the gain (no, not due to compression, lol). The level knob for the channel that I have the insert routed through on my Clarett interface affects the overall volume of the track I have the insert on in PT , which I was not expecting. I am pretty sure I have everything routed correctly in the Focusrite Control SW (read some articles on that). It's not a big deal, but I kinda have to use the Clarett channel volume as "makeup gain". Seems odd?

Anyway, thank for the help everyone!

Cheers,
ProTools 2018
Clarett 8PreX
Old 05-04-2018, 05:22 PM

2 things to consider here:
#1- the IO on the RNC could be -10 and the Focusrite is likely +4, so there may be a serious mismatch in levels(is your threshold setting on the RNC very low on the dial?)
#2-as much as I like the RNC(and owned a few), it is not a great "character" compressor. I think(just an opinion) you are going thru a lot of trouble to use a piece of hardware that can be matched or beaten by a slew of plugins from freebies up to top-shelf goodies from McDSP, Waves, UA, Slate, etc Is it really worth the hassle? While you ponder that, I have a full tt patchbay with hardware inserts, several hardware compressors(including Retro and a very nice LA2A clone and some very nice hardware EQ's. You know how often I use a hardware insert during mixing? Yeah, the answer is never(other than testing to make sure it all works as expected) Food for thought

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-04-2018, 11:18 PM

It’s a matter of level match, as stated above.

Oh, and I do use hardware inserts a lot, especially for reverbs and compression. And protools does hw insert very well and easy.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:05 AM

albee1952, Emi: Thanks to both of you for the replies! I am sure it is the -10/+4 issue. Threshold was not set very low at all. Regardless, I got the routing to work, which was really the grand purpose of the experiment. Albee1952, as I think I noted on the other similar thread on this, I totally agree that plugins really serve the job for things like this more admirably in general (esp when talking about something more pedestrian like the RNC, even though I think it does a nice job for what it is).

Greatly appreciate the assistance and perspective from all!

Cheers,
ProTools 2018
Clarett 8PreX
Old 04-15-2019, 10:16 PM

skizzo. How did you route your I/o? I have same setup pt2018 and a studio 192. I can't seem to get my hardware to work as an insert. Been looking online for a few days your the first person I've come across with same setup.