Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 05-05-2006, 01:33 PM

Default Anyone experience CPU at 100%?

I'm pretty certain I have some combination of plug-in's on my session that's causing the CPU to be pegged at 100%, the system doesn't technically freeze, but I have no choice but to shut down because it takes about 5 seconds just to move the mouse.

I'm running PT TDM 6.7 with one Accel card.

The plugins on the session are Oxford Inflator, Amp Farm, TL Space, various Waves EQ... nothing too serious.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Robert
Old 05-05-2006, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Anyone experience CPU at 100%?

Your probably experiencing the memory leak in PT 6.7. You need to update to 6.9.3cs4. It's a free pugrade I believe. What's you paging file look like when the slowdown happens?
Peace,
Brandon
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 05-06-2006, 05:35 AM

I have 2 gigs of RAM so I don't have any pagefile.

I will look into the upgrade, however, I don't want to do it right now because I'm in the middle of a few sessions.

I removed Amp Farm and that seemed to help because the system didn't hang, however, it did hit that 100% CPU slowdown during a bounce to disk.

Thank you!
Robert
Old 05-06-2006, 08:05 AM

Well I took the plunge and upgraded to 6.9.3cs4 anyway and with no problems.

However, the system CPU still hits 100% when I bounce to disk (although it does seem more stable while mixing even with Amp Farm back in, so far so good).

This happens every single time I bounce... I'll keep everyone posted on the progress...

Thanks,
Robert
Old 05-06-2006, 10:00 AM

Raid,
I never BTD. I just send the output of the mix to a bus and make an audio track with the bus as an input and record the mix that way. It's much better that way and you can stop in the middle if someone hears something they don't like and fix it then just punch back in right where you left off. Just a thought.
peace,
brandon
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 05-06-2006, 10:34 AM

Brandon,

Yeah, I do the same thing... I go out my Dangerous 2 Bus back into PT to create a stereo mix. Then I usually put some plugs on that track, fade out if needed, then bounce.

I could just export that stereo track and import it into Wavelab and do the fades and mastering (I use the term mastering loosely)...

Still, I would like to know why PT pegs the CPU as soon as it starts the Convert Bounced file.

Thanks again,
Rob
Old 05-06-2006, 01:08 PM

Hi!
A few things...

You always have a page file with Windows. You may have the user set page file @ 0, but if you do some checking and reading, you will find what I am speaking of. (although not a bottom-line, or even all encompassing- not even close- this is a good place to start)

Amp Farm: are you using the proper version for that PT version? I have seen these problems (and others) due to versions of various apps and plugs not being "matched." (btw- does not mean get 6.7 ver of each plug, of course just the ver of the plug that was declared "okie dokie" for that PT ver)

And lastly...CPU always pegs 100% during bounce. Happens with PT, Nuendo...you name it. I dont think it is utilizing 100% of the "raw power" of the CPU, but it is *reserving* it (possibly to keep it from getting "distracted?").

Wish I had more hard core machine background to explain all of that more adequately, and properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:53 PM

Nikki,

Thanks for the info.

I checked the plug-in compatability, and I shouldn't have any issues there.

Also when I say the CPU is at 100% it causes PT to practially stop (unlike seeing the System Usage window showing the CPU at 100% but the system runs normally), and nothing can be done but close down, once PT is closed via Task Manager then the system returns to normal.

I'm trying a few things... unless it's obvious to someone there's not much more I can do except experiment.

If I ever figure it out I will post back.

Thanks Nikki,
Robert
Old 05-11-2006, 01:50 PM

Well I'm still having all kinds of issues... brother.

I updated PT to 6.9.3cs4, updated all Windows, updated Pace iLok drivers, I removed my USB hub and plugged my iLoks directly into the back of the computer...

As soon as I try to load a plug-in, the system freezes and I have to reboot. If I don't run any plug-ins the system will be much more stable, however, it does crash eventually.

And now because of the system crashes one of my sessions has an invalid Magic number... what a stupid error. I have plenty of backups so I'm not worried it's just one more thing... ugh.

Rob
Old 05-11-2006, 06:02 PM

OK, tech 101 time!

First, since you have fresh installs, it should be easier...
Have you deleted all Digidesign Database folders off all drives?
Trashed DAE Prefs?

I am assuming yes, so I am moving on...
Can you try removing all plugins except for the mixer plugins (obviously!), and let's try...EQ II. Venerable, and should not produce a single issue. Leave only it (.dpm and .dpm.rsr files) and a stereo and surround mixer plugin in the ..\dae\plug-ins folder.

Load up a session known to cause this problem.
How many RTAS are in the session? Please try a session with the least number RTAS in it, or the least CPU draw.
Does the session still bog and 100% the CPU with no plugins except the Digi EQ II able to load?
(I am suggesting this to resolve, since by eliminating two things- plugins in session, as well as plugins on launch- it enables some severe narrowing).
If all is well, try instantiating an EQ II everywhere you HAD plugins enabled before. This is an attempt to get some "exit mixer, enter mixer, buss me around" such-nsuch happening, while maintaining a knwon constant- EQ II- as an enabler, without (much/any) risk of introducing an unknown factor.

Is the bogging only during bounce attempts?

If you are still seeing this issue after all that, then if you could please email me a session that produces this behaviour every time? nikki9 AT gmail DOT com
Just the session please- no audio files, nothing except the .pts file. It wont be shared, and will be deleted as soon as I have had a chance to check reproducibility here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.