Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2003, 06:04 AM

Default Best Portable Vocal Booth - Under $700

I have needed a portable vocal booth for a while and finally came up with a pretty good solution (partly care of Steven Klein's website).

Five (5) Hollow core door panels - $20/ea (Home Depot)
Seven (7) Jumbo Sound Absorption Blankets - $20/ea (Markertek)
Fifty (50) 4" blade tile acoustical foam - $6/ea (Markertek)

Essentially, I put hinges on three door panels and hinges on the remaining two. I placed adhesive on the panels and mounted the acoustical foam. The current 'final touch' was taking the blankets and draping those over everything.

It actually turned out much better than I thought it would. The only thing I would add would be a raised flooring at this point, but I figure right now, it's pointless to do that if this is going to remain portable.

I still would like to add a canopy top with a bass trap, when I figure that part out, it's done, but it was a heck of a lot more fun than buying the 'finished' solution, and in a basement, works just as well.

I'm sure you can take the foam for $300, put that in a larger closet and have a pretty nice booth too, but this needed to be a little more portable.

Kevin
Old 03-25-2003, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Best Portable Vocal Booth - Under $700

Hey Kev,

I've been wanting to build a portable booth myself but don't know where to start. You wouldn't have pictures would you? Also, the website you mentioned. What's the address?

Peace
Eye2irt [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2003, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Best Portable Vocal Booth - Under $700

I took pictures, nothing is online yet. I'll have to take the time to do that and send the links. It's not pretty, but it is quite effective. Give me a little time and I'll get the pics up. If you want to send me an email, I'll be sure to send you a note once that's done.

Kevin