Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2003, 06:23 AM

Default PORTABLE VOCAL BOOTH

Hey, have any of you guys checked out www.vocalbooth.com and www.whisperroom.com ???

Ive been looking for a portable vocal booth because i live in an apartment. Im interested in buying one. What do you guys think???
Old 04-01-2003, 10:21 AM

Default Re: PORTABLE VOCAL BOOTH

hmm well i always hate it when you can't find prices on a website - vocalbooth.com seem rather shy about it

and the other site freaks my browser out

www.soundcloud.com/piersgibbon

VOICEOVER - Avalon 737sp/Focusrite Saffire Pro 40/Neumann + Rode inside an Esmono voiceover studio (+ Source Connect, Prima LT, Sonifex TBU, Sonnox plugins)

Record: MBP 13 inch mid 2012, 2.9 ghz i7 8gig ram, PT 11, GDrive Professional Ext Hard Drive

Backup:15 inch early 2008 MBP, OSX 10.10.2

(+Windows 7 PC running Audio TX isdn and tbu codec)

Edit: PT Express 10.3.4 on 13-inch, Late 2010 MacBook Air, OS X 10.10.4
Old 04-01-2003, 10:22 AM

We have a whisperroom vocal booth at my work, if you can afford it, they're totally worth it. Well consrtucted, easy to put toghter, very very quite, and completely portable, the one we have rolls on casters, I recommend it completely. The vocalbooth.com silver series, starts at 1,700 a little cheaper than whisperroom, and I'm sure they make a great room too, but I have no experience with them. Hope that helps, BTW if your handy when it comes to carpentry you could certainly fashion a booth toghter with a little research for probably half the cost. In fact i'm moving to a new place right now, and a buddy of mine who's got a degree in acoustiocs from Columbia college in Chicago, is going to help me construct a a islotaion booth from scarth, I'll let you know what we did, and what it cost if you want. We're going to make a room inside of a room with 3sheets of drywall for all the wall, I'm going to then roominate the space with a auralex kit, a tight door, and a little window, and the whole thing will be up off the floor, My friend insures my we can do the whole thing for a couple hundred bucks, I'm excited to see how it turns out.
Certified Protools6.x Post-Production Operator
Old 04-01-2003, 10:24 AM

You could save a bundle by contructing one of these yourself....
Old 04-01-2003, 10:32 AM

now I'm sure i'm not the only person who wd reeeeeaaaaaallly appreciate it if you cd let us know how that project goes Scott....open access source code drawings 'n all ; ) ...

seriously that would be great

i finally found the price info on vocalbooth...

"Customer service and your satisfaction is our number one priority.* With
three levels of systems available we want to make sure you receive the best
fit for your needs.* With the fluctuating economy we want to be able to give
you the best price possible.* Call us for a personal consultation and price
quote. "

i dunno..i just dont like it when they do that

www.soundcloud.com/piersgibbon

VOICEOVER - Avalon 737sp/Focusrite Saffire Pro 40/Neumann + Rode inside an Esmono voiceover studio (+ Source Connect, Prima LT, Sonifex TBU, Sonnox plugins)

Record: MBP 13 inch mid 2012, 2.9 ghz i7 8gig ram, PT 11, GDrive Professional Ext Hard Drive

Backup:15 inch early 2008 MBP, OSX 10.10.2

(+Windows 7 PC running Audio TX isdn and tbu codec)

Edit: PT Express 10.3.4 on 13-inch, Late 2010 MacBook Air, OS X 10.10.4
Old 04-01-2003, 11:47 AM

I haven't read this yet, but check out this link:

http://srd.yahoo.com/S=2766679:WS1/R=5/K=vocal+booth+construction/H=0/T=1049226256/F=8affe60c761857e baf1a021766a61108/*http://www.hip-hop.com.au/production/tips/vocalbooth.htm

you may find it interesting. Also...there is a cheap book called "Basic Home Studio Design" (by Paul White) that you can buy for like 7 bucks from amazon.com that outlines basic construction techniques for all kinds of studio structures....

check it out homey
Old 04-01-2003, 05:21 PM

hola Tyme,

I got a Whisperroom about two months ago, just a little 4x4, for use in my loft apartment in Berkeley. I could not be happier with it. Not only does it reduce outside noise into insignificance, but it keeps the performance "in the box" as well, which seems to help performers give it there all. Self consciousness goes away, neighbors are completely oblivious.

It is easy to put together, but don't plan on doing it alone. Each piece is pretty heavy. Also, WR's customer service is excellent.

I highly recommend getting the window-in-the-door option.

Hope this helps.

Opus F.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:43 PM

Ok It took me awhile to get my stuff together but it's done. My friend and I finished the vocal booth this weekend. PICS ON MY SITE TO COME SOON here's what it took
1 night to buy materials at Home Depot and load them into to the new studio (I'm moving in 2 weeks)
1 11:00am- 9:00 PM Sat. and
4hours of my friend working solo to finish the door.
The Dimensions are roughly 4"wideX5"longX6"tall
Heres what we did: no real research I followed my friends advice all the way like i said he's got acoustics degree from Columbia and I trust him
Phase 1
we constructed a platform made from 2X6 laying flat on to a 3/4" peice of plywood ,the platfrom was attched to 5,3" casters(one in the middle) a 2X4 cross was placed across the undercarriage of the platform
We constructed 3 walls of MDF and then the MDF ceiling. We had to contrust the long walls by using 2 cuts, (obviously, you can't buy MDF,drywall, plywood in sheets other than 4X8) Once we had the outer 3 walls and Ceiling attached to the paltfrom we moved to Phase 2
The floor was then layerd with a 1/4 inch sheet of rubber flooring material, and then another sheet of MDF, weather stripping was placed on the 4 side corners ot the MDF flooring
Phase 3
DRYWALL(sheetrock whatever...)
We then lined the 3walls and ceiling with 2layers of 5/8" drywall

WARNING !!!!!!!THIS BOOTH DESIGN WEIGHS A MASSIVE +1/2 TON

Phase 4
The Door
It;s made just like the walls (MDF drywall,drywall) except in the middle of the 4th door wall a 2'permanent wall comes out to the center and a long hinge holds the the 2'door in place. The door is really cool all 3 layers of MDF and Drywall interlock on the hinge side and latch side.
Phase 5
Auralex, I bought the cheapest kit $99 32 tiles I put velcro on the backs so I can arrange them as I please

That's pretty much it , we used 4 tubes of caulk and a roll of duct tape on all the seams. weather stripping on the door, no window, no vent, open the door if you need to breath.
There are plywood pads under the wheels to keep them from going through the floor. 4 battery operated Touch Lights for light.

Total cost
$363.62 Materials
$99 Auralex kit
$160 for my friends labor (almost 20 hours of total work/shopping/cleaning/load in)

BTW this both is much quiter then the Prefab $2000WhisperRoom at my work, no numbers to prove that but I can totally tell the difference.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:22 AM

The one I have I bought from a door-to-door salesman and is 8'x8'x10' and folds down to the size of breifcase. It is from the Acme Iso Booth Company from Walla Walla, Washington. I can't remember the salesmans name, but he had an orange bill.

NP

P.S. Mine also has an elevator.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:35 AM

Ok so I forgot this topic was called "PORTABLE voal booth" So mine's not so portable, however it does move around on the floor with ease, I can move it wherever I want no problem. It' s like pushing a compact car in neutral. The problem with this design is that we estimate that it can only be taken down and put up 3 or 4 times before major problems might start.