Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 06-19-2015, 04:45 PM

Default Native Thunderbolt w/ multiple audio interfaces?

I think this is a silly question because the answer seems obvious but today I realized that I've never heard anyone discuss this.

Using Native Thunderbolt hardware, can you connect an Avid HD I/O and also have a 192 I/O cascading off the legacy port of that 1st I/O? So two total interfaces. This was a no-brainer with TDM PCIe cards but I wasn't sure if thunderbolt had an issue with so many channels at once.

Edit: I see that the spec suggests that up to 4 interfaces can be used, and the 192 is listed as one of them. That suggests that it shouldn't be a problem so I guess I'm checking in with users to see if there are any real-world issues with this.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Native Thunderbolt w/ multiple audio interfaces?

I have seen that done here in other studios before as the 192 i/o have gone down to "almost free" prices.

Thunderbolt is just a PCIe brigde and is basically a PCIe card with a different connection so that should work just fine.

I seen several studios that had the old TDM systems laying around and just used the i/o interfaces from the TDM system in their new HDN/HDX setups

I think it is only an adapter for the connection of the legacy port is needed so they fit together.

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 06-20-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
I have seen that done here in other studios before as the 192 i/o have gone down to "almost free" prices.

Thunderbolt is just a PCIe brigde and is basically a PCIe card with a different connection so that should work just fine.

I seen several studios that had the old TDM systems laying around and just used the i/o interfaces from the TDM system in their new HDN/HDX setups

I think it is only an adapter for the connection of the legacy port is needed so they fit together.
TB should have the throughput for it but I wasn't sure if there was some unforeseen reason why a 192 wouldn't work. Avid does have a habit of intentionally locking out their retired hardware.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
TB should have the throughput for it but I wasn't sure if there was some unforeseen reason why a 192 wouldn't work. Avid does have a habit of intentionally locking out their retired hardware.
Thats true but the 192 interfaces works with the new HDN/X PCIe cards as the new darker coloured interfaces. We are thinking if getting a few here too as my brother found 2 X 192's for equivalent of $750 for both and they are mint with digilink cables.

Those would be used in conjunction with our HDX2 system to get 4 interfaces in total. We have 2 HD interfaces (16X16) and now we can get double that for $750 plus a few gallons of petrol to get there and pick em up

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 06-21-2015, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Thats true but the 192 interfaces works with the new HDN/X PCIe cards as the new darker coloured interfaces. We are thinking if getting a few here too as my brother found 2 X 192's for equivalent of $750 for both and they are mint with digilink cables.

Those would be used in conjunction with our HDX2 system to get 4 interfaces in total. We have 2 HD interfaces (16X16) and now we can get double that for $750 plus a few gallons of petrol to get there and pick em up
Wow what an amazing deal you found there!!
Old 06-21-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
Wow what an amazing deal you found there!!
It isn't so uncommon these days. I tought two for 600 euros (roughly the same) straight from authorized dealer who took them as exchange for Avid-branded ones. These blue boxes really don't have any value today, you can probably get more for selling the cards individually.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:18 AM

Many (including our facility) have found the new Avid I/Os to be so much better than the 192s that prices have dropped drastically. They're still good converters, of course, but not worth nearly as much as they once were.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Many (including our facility) have found the new Avid I/Os to be so much better than the 192s that prices have dropped drastically. They're still good converters, of course, but not worth nearly as much as they once were.
True.

I remember paying 1200 euros for AD card in 2008 or so. I was in a hurry and needed the dealer to send it to me absolutely immediately (meaning delivery within two hours, I was preparing for a gig in Tampere and the card was in Helsinki) so the price wasn't an issue.

Today, the delivery would cost more than the card.