Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2015, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Please Avid We All Really Want You to Be Successful

Well, he asked me to delete the quote of his message, so it's now deleted.

Last edited by mesaone; 02-12-2015 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C Avid View Post
Hi there Froyo

If you let your plan lapse, you will have two options to get access to the latest version of Pro Tools:
  • Subscribe to Pro Tools software on a monthly or annual basis (that can be 'restarted' at any time at the monthly or yearly price)
  • Purchase a new Pro Tools perpetual license (full product) that includes an annual upgrade and support plan
Dave
I've used Microsoft and Adobe subscription and bought their perpetual licenses, but I've never ever seen or heard any companies said that if your subscribe or support plan lapse then you will lose your upgrade ability. It always a good idea to make the third option that if people are owning a perpetual license, as long as AVID releases a newer version(such as 11 to 12 or later) they can just buy an upgrade of that version instead of buying the whole software again. Come on, do something makes sense guys.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longname View Post
I've used Microsoft, Adobe subscription, but I've never ever seen or heard any companies said that if your subscribe or support plan lapse then you will lose your upgrade ability. I'm done with you AVID.
Where did he say that?

From what you quoted he said, "If you let your plan lapse, you will have two options to get access to the latest version of Pro Tools..."
Old 02-11-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
It's clear that they simply don't have the plan figured out yet for HD licenses. That's not disregarding customers, although it is not what I wanted to hear.
Indeed. The I need to know, "now, now, now!" tantrums are silly. They have said the same thing regarding HD licenses since the beginning. But that's not good enough for some. So conspiracies are developed for grown men to keep whining.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
I think most of us come from the perspective that we love working with Protools and the hardware associated with it. We all want to continue the amazing relationship we have with the DAW that we all love so much.
That doesn't appear true from what I've gathered from the community over the past couple of weeks as I was considering what to do in future months. Most people I've talked to have little to no interest in seeing Avid succeed. They've had enough. I've never seen as much animosity.

All but one person at my facility has purchased Logic this past week and there's quite a lot of excitement because of it.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:04 PM
Avid

Coolbass,

Stick around for a bit and see what Avid does this year, I think you will be happy with this plan for $199.

Dave
Old 02-11-2015, 07:10 PM
Avid

Longname,

Go check out Microsoft Office, if you own 365 you can receive software updates, if you purchase a license you do not get feature updates. It's version locked.

Dave
Old 02-11-2015, 07:15 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righty27 View Post
Hi Dave - thaks for joining the discussion and addressing some of these points, even if they are not unversally liked (myself included).

Assuming you haven't read hundreds of pages of DUC comments over recent weeks and months, if the 'new money' value of Pro Tools 'vanilla' / non-HD is $899 including support (which may well be reasonably-priced but just not valued amongst many here), do you at least appreciate the disappointment of users who have previously invested in what will now become a 'perpetual licence' which would be worthless if their plans lapsed?
Hi, the license is not worthless, you're using the software you purchased every day and getting the value for what you paid for that software. That value will last forever. You would have paid to upgrade that software at some point, which previously was $299, now it's $199 and you get an entire year of upgrades and support. If you like the program you can continue it for the next year, if you don't that software will continue to work and you'll still get that value you put into it.

HTH,
Dave
Old 02-11-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C Avid View Post
Hi there Froyo

If you let your plan lapse, you will have two options to get access to the latest version of Pro Tools:
  • Subscribe to Pro Tools software on a monthly or annual basis (that can be 'restarted' at any time at the monthly or yearly price)
  • Purchase a new Pro Tools perpetual license (full product) that includes an annual upgrade and support plan
Dave
This is what is keeping people away and going to keep them away. Punishing them for missing a renewal.
Most of the people in this business are contractors and money flows at different times of the year and can be unpredictible.

Forcing users to HAVE to have a constant renewal or lost the abilioty to upgrade will cost a lot of renewals.
I have an HD and 2 vanilla. I have to continue my HD, but the two others will not get updated.
Rather than the constant renewal, for licenses that I may not use as often, the better financial solution is to move to another DAW that can fit in with other musicians.

With the vague HD license policy, including that with a hardware purchase has stopped me and several others in purchasing HD hardware this year.

There is no point in carrying 2 HD licenses and losing one which makes the hardware purchase now pointless and expensive.
As well as there is no current policy for HD license holders on cost and renewal of an HD license in the event of a laspe.

So that's a good 50k AVID has lost as well as future hardware purchases across 3 people.
One has now decided to go with the Apollo system now.
I'm looking into the Raven.

Post Audio. You clearly don't know your audience well at all. Post is one of the least updating area's of software there is.
Feature wise, there isn't much exciting and the need for updates every month just isn't going to happen.
Once a version has been determined stable, then unless there is a critical flaw in that version, which usually means downgrade, updating isn't likely.

Mission critical facilities and users are not early adopters unless extensively tested before putting into mission critical situations.
Myself and many others are only just to the point of a PT 11 test system.

Again, while from AVID's POV is a great winner for the user. From the USERs POV, it is punishment for not keeping up with a renewal.
Let alone locking them out from upgrading and updating because of poor programming in which a lapse may hold a fix for something like the input monitor issue that wasn't really fixed for about 9 months.

In terms of the Media Composer users, they aren't happy either.

Locking users out isn't the answer or solution. The DAW market has much greater competition and the choices are much more than before.

You losing people already and its only Febraury.

People aren't happy and no spin of you "policy" and how "great" it is for the user is going to convince other wise.
Because it isn't making the users happy.

That is what AVID is refusing to see.
EFI flashed 580 GPU
3 card PCI-e expansion chassis.
Avid Artist Control
Apollo 8 Quad, Satellite Quad, Octo Card
Cranesong Avocet Monitor System.
WireWorld ProAudio Cables
Old 02-11-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwiz View Post
Do not want to pay annually for 'support' I don't need or want.
Initial releases generally stink and should be avoided, PT11 was a real stinker (kinda still is)
Don't have time or inclination to be a beta testing customer.
I upgraded a bunch of licenses to PT11 late last year and none of them are being used. Nobody here will use PT11. Maybe the only use for PT right now might be deliverables using offline bounce but again not sure if it's reliable...
You can't be successful if you p%&!_off your clients.
Thank you for seeing the point in this as well. Mission critical installs do not upgrade to every version just because it is out.
Testing first in less critical applications.

PT 11 is only now just in Testing for me
'
AVID doesn't get it. Its all from the boardroom now and they have completely lost touch with their user base and will see what happens when they are gone/ Because once they are gone, getting them back isn't likely.
EFI flashed 580 GPU
3 card PCI-e expansion chassis.
Avid Artist Control
Apollo 8 Quad, Satellite Quad, Octo Card
Cranesong Avocet Monitor System.
WireWorld ProAudio Cables