Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-1999, 05:51 AM

Default Jumping into purchasing 2nd TDM system pre Xmas, whats round the corner in Jan???????

I'm gonna take the plunge and upgrade my office/home Mac 266 to a Mix + system, add meg till its 250 or more. I could use another system. (one gets hired out a lot) And buy an Imac for the office.
I wonder whats round the corner, I want more farm cards (I will have 3 between the two systems to start with) but they are stupid expencive. RTAS and computer speed plugs are zooming up.
Usual worries.
Why do I suspect I will soon feel like a chump with two TDM systems and one expancion chassis full of farm cards?

Paranoid enough for the music biz

Jules

Old 11-11-1999, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Jumping into purchasing 2nd TDM system pre Xmas, whats round the corner in Jan???????

What's around the corner is...............

3 French hens, 2 turtle doves and a partridge in a pear-shaped tree....................
g'wan jules, do yourself a favour....invest in a nice Strat and some geetar lessons....you know it makes sense!!!.............

Old 11-11-1999, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Jumping into purchasing 2nd TDM system pre Xmas, whats round the corner in Jan???????

Strat?!!!

At least with a Tele you can crack someone over the head with it (Keef)

What can you do with a Strat? Set fire to it I suppose! (Jimi)

Chestnuts roasting on an, open fire!!

jules
Old 11-11-1999, 04:56 PM

Ever since getting badly burned by Digi - I had invested in multiple 442's just before Digi unveiled its 888 interface - my advice has been to buy a core system and rent as each job necessitates. Following my own advice has saved me lots of money & aggravation. I would love to own a second 888 I/O, but refrain from doing so because Digi will unveil a 96k interface as soon as my check clears. Now if they were to offer a reasonable trade-up deal, it would be a different story. They don't; therefore I rent the stuff. It's not that I'm bitter - just pragmatic.
Mark Green
Old 11-11-1999, 05:10 PM

Hmmmmm rental eh? That sounds like an interesting idea!
Jules
Old 11-11-1999, 05:21 PM

I just saw the 001 demo tour yesterday and I don't think RTAS is a real threat for at least another year or so. They could barely run 8 Digi EQs, 5 Digi Comps, and 1 D-Verb on the G4/350 machine they had. There are also lots of questions as to the sound quality of RTAS versions compared to TDM (bit depth, etc.).

001 would be great to edit with but it's not gonna replace a TDM system soon, Digi will make sure of that (for now). Questions about optimized G4 code were diplomatically sidestepped by the Digi Rep and the time code issue is just good business (though, a bummer). If the advatages of optimization for G4 are anything like Photoshop's, it could be a usable mixing system shortly.

I think that eventually we will all go Host but not for at least another year or two and until then...Digi lives off the upgrade path and they will continue to make sure they have one.

Manufacturers like MOTU and Steinberg have been working in host systems for a while but they don't have the plugs to compete. For me, it's about plugs and the latency. When processors can master that then we'll be at the mercy of Apple instead of Digi.

Anyway...my $.02.

Boop,

evan brubaker
Old 11-16-1999, 09:33 PM

Anyway, I jumped in!
Thanks guys
Jules