Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2002, 10:38 AM

Default Digi question: Is SSC for Mac OS X coming?

I know that it's not Digi's policy to pre-announce new products, but I would suspect an OS X version of Soft SampleCell falls outside this limitation.

Digi has stated in the DUC that PTLE will be upgraded to Mac OS X, and I have to believe the Soft SampleCell will follow suit.

What's the story, Digi? Do I invest in a BitHeadz OS X-compatible alternative, or do I wait for you?
Old 07-28-2002, 12:40 AM

Default Re: Digi question: Is SSC for Mac OS X coming?

I have the PCI Samplecell II and I dearly lurve it!

I'm running X for everything but now. Adobe Suite, FCP, Sibelius, Peak, and admin stuff. I'm tired of rebooting into 9 for music recording. Please let us know!
Old 07-29-2002, 06:43 AM

Quote:
What's the story, Digi? Do I invest in a BitHeadz OS X-compatible alternative, or do I wait for you?
That's what I wanna know too, I mean, I allready have the "BitHeadz OS X-compatible alternative", but so far (up to v.2) its' file admin. is a bit too messy for my taste, and a couple of other things. I suppose v.3 with VST (HTDM soon?) compatibility is gonna make it more useful. BUT, BUT, BUT, please Digi, don't force us to use it [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] when we finally take the leap into X-land [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . Please develop SampleCell further into compatibility with different plug-in formats, full drag-and-drop functions, sample-accurate timing (take a look at my other post " The future of SSC -ideas for a monster sampler") and turn it into a serious competitor to samplers for also non-PT based platforms such as the one mentioned above (DS-1), EXS-24, and the new NI Kontakt, which looks VERY promising BTW (except for the dense fact that it doesn't read SC instruments [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] -yet). It's also gonna be interesting to see what EMU's cooking up.
Old 07-29-2002, 03:02 PM

And support the PCI SampleCell II Plus boards in OSX!
Old 08-03-2002, 10:46 AM

ATTENTION JC (Digi Samplecell Tech Support/site administrator) - What's your answer?
Old 08-09-2002, 09:17 AM

I'd rate the chance of Samplecell cards being supported under OSX as slim to none.. Otherwise why would Digi be blowing them out?
Old 08-09-2002, 05:56 PM

I would tend to agree that Digi will not be supporting the cards under OS X. If you have enough compute horsepower, the card is actually inferior because of its limited on-board memory.

I just need to know, if I should hold off purchasing Soft SampleCell, when PTLE for OS X is right around the corner.

Come on, Digi. What is happening?
Old 08-13-2002, 07:59 PM

I'd be interested in knowing the answer to this one as well. I remember reading in some thread or other (honestly can't recall where) that Digi was focused on porting SSC to OSX rather than SCII hardware, but I don't remember seeing a general time frame for the X release of SSC.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:56 PM

Brent - are you willing to put your life on the line and address this? Heck, even the corporate "I'm sorry, but we don't pre-announce products" would keep me from having to come back here.

There's nothing worse than being ignored.
Old 08-24-2002, 05:27 AM

While the software version might have more advanced features in some ways, some people want to save the processor usage for software synths like Reason.