Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2001, 11:09 AM

Default Soft SampleCell Problems

Just got SSC and had a few questions.

I'm having a problem where some 24 bit cymbal hit samples make a loud popping sound when they get to the end of the sample. If I bring the sample directly in to PT it is fine. But if I play it in SSC it pops. Not all samples just arbitrary ones. This happens if I only have the one sample loaded in SSC. So it is not a computer lack of power. I've also noticed that if I play a 'pad' in SSC I can here these pops as well. It almost sounds like Word Clock pops, but it is not that.

Another possible big drag: It comes 'bundled' with Osmosis. You get 2 weeks free and then have to pay 99 bucks to BitHeadz if you want to keep using it. So I loaded in some samples from a couple of Akai disks I have. Osmosis did its job fast and easy, but when I loaded the stuff into SSC no modulation, vibrato, or those realtime playing nuances were intact. The samples were mapped out cool but that was it. There were also problems with other parameters.

I loaded in a Jaco fretless bass from an Akai disc into my EMU sampler. It had chorusing on it, aftertouch vibrato, and the sample notes sorted snuck in very nicely to give it a fretless vibe. In SSC no chorus, no vibrato, and the notes played immediately as soon as you touched the key. Is there another program that will convert files to SampleCell format that will actually have the proper nuances?

Thanks.
1 TB PCIe flash storage
Pro Tools Ultimate HD 2023.6
HD Native Thunderbolt
Old 05-27-2001, 04:17 AM

Default Re: Soft SampleCell Problems

Most of Bitheadz software is pure cr*p. Everything seems to be halfbaked. No wonder....
Old 05-27-2001, 10:33 PM

No comment Digi??

This is a definite reason to hold off on buying samplecell early in the game.

haze
Old 05-28-2001, 03:04 AM

Does anybody know if you buy SSC from the DigiStore, can you download it or do you have to wait until it's shipped to you?

Steve
Old 05-28-2001, 05:56 AM

what's that about SSC does'nt load akai sample&progs . . .?
Old 05-28-2001, 06:40 AM

SSC is out for just a few days and it's already Out Dated!
Old 05-28-2001, 08:15 AM
Administrator

rme_uk,

Soft Samplecell is not a downloadable product. Shipping product only from your dealer or the DigiStore. It includes a CD of samples and key disk authorization.

haze,
This thread started on Saturday morning of a 3 day holiday weekend, so some of these questions aren't going to be answered until the office is open.

------------------
Bruce Paine
WebAdmin
Digidesign Customer Service
Old 05-28-2001, 07:40 PM

Understood Bruce. Thanks for the reply.

Hey Michael, is you situation getting better?

haze
Old 05-29-2001, 08:27 AM

I believe I may have solved my 'popping' problems. Somehow, some of the sample loops aren't loaded/transferred properly and this is causing the problem. If I reload the bank they seem to work.
BUT, Osmosis isn't working well with Soft SampleCell. None of the realtime nuances are transferred from the Akai libraries. Also if I load an Akai bank that has different velocity levels, they aren't mapped out correctly. For example, I loaded a three velocity Acoustic bass program from an Akai disk. (John Patitucci) In my EMU everything was cool. In SSC, the samples were mapped incorrectly and it was totally unusable. If I loaded just a single velocity bank in SSC, the raw samples were mapped out correctly,
Digi, would you please look into this and respond. Is this a problem with Osmosis or SSC? If it is a problem with Osmosis, can you suggest another program? Thanks.
1 TB PCIe flash storage
Pro Tools Ultimate HD 2023.6
HD Native Thunderbolt
Old 05-29-2001, 09:19 AM

Hmmm, I'm on the verge of buying Soft Samplecell, but these issues don't sound too good. I think it's one thing for SSC to lose the fx settings like chorus & vibrato or whatever, since I'm not sure it has those fx onboard. But it's quite another to mess up the velocity switch settings for a patch. Wouldn't you think that Osmosis would have that aspect of Akai conversion down by now? Hmmm...

So, Michael? How is the latency issue? How does it work as a standalone sampler, creating your own samples? What Mac are you running it on? I've got a Beige G3, which is supposedly not supported, but I have no idea why that would be...