Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-1999, 05:49 PM

Default Why are you still using MLCD?

Does anyone have reasons for using MLCD vs. Jam?
Old 08-07-1999, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Why are you still using MLCD?

I've been using MLCD since version 1.0. I recently bought JAM because after the version 2.1 release, MLCD would no longer work consistently with my CD writer (This is the same writer I have been using with older versions). MLCD would freeze at inoportune times, like durring the middle of a burn. My same hardware configuration works flawlessly with JAM. I didn't just run out and buy, JAM; I tried for several weeks to work out the problems with digi tech support, but to no avail.

Interestingly, I hooked up an old Sony CDW-900E (the KING of all CD recorders) to this same system and it works great with MLCD, but somehow it won't work with my regular hardware setup.
Old 08-08-1999, 07:51 AM

I've used MLCD since version 1.3. My problems
have been much like blairl's. Freezing during burns, usually w/ clients waiting. I finally bought Jam and it's worked flawlessly. Digi tech support has been friendly and helpful but to no avail. There's a bug in there somewhere and they either can't or won't find it. V.1.3 worked fine w/ my old Ricoh 1420-C, but it recently died. I updated to v.2.1.1 to be able to use my new Yamaha 4416S CD-RW and the first disc I tried to burn crashed. I just read an interesting review of Emagic's Waveburner. Has anyone tried it?
Old 08-08-1999, 08:12 AM

In fairness to DIGI. Burns freeze is most often the BufferUnder-run error; where the computer can't deliever the data to burner when the burner needs it. JAM & TOAST were unstable with this issuse until they implemented the Ram Cache.

IMHO - MLCD is missing two key componets.
1) RAM CACHE
2) Add ALL in the "new track" dialog box

One caveat with JAM (I hope this changes soon!). You can not add track marks within cuts without defining them as regions within the sound file.

[This message has been edited by danisrael (edited 08-08-99).]
Old 08-08-1999, 09:21 AM

About Waveburner: I recently had both Waveburner & Audiowerk 2 for a trial-period of 7 days.
The biggest problem was : i have a Sony CDU-948s cd-burner, and according to the manual, they should work fine together. But no! I could not in anyway get Waveburner to recognize the burner. I tried calling Emagic in both Denmark, Germany and Sweden! Nothing worked.
In general I would say that Waveburner is the way to go in the future. I cant say why I havent seen anybody else doing this graphic representation of the audio-materiel (in a mastering program). Its super!!
One thing - however - was that i ran the waveburner on a 120mhz powermac, and it was really slow. So apparently you have to have a somewhat faster computer to run it...
Another problem is that its hard to do very fine adjustments to levels etc. And I dont know for the love of god, why this problem is to be found in almost every digiaudio-program out there. I find it very frustrating that you find yourself purchasing a "professional" audio-prog. which is very developed on the audio-side, but when it comes to adjusting the levels etc., you find yourself operating knobs that might as well could have appeared in Mickey Mouse or something (sorry 'bout the english...).
Old 08-08-1999, 03:07 PM

I'm using MLCD because:
1. Version 1.4.1 is capable of writing DDP-masters (in conjunction with MezzoMaster).
2. MLCD is capable of dithering 24-bit files.
3. You can import SD2-playlists directly to MLCD (well, this is what digi says, I regret this doesn't work always fine).

What about Jam and Waveburner concerning these features? I really would like to change, too.
Old 08-08-1999, 08:20 PM

Ulrich
I don't know anything about #1 (the mezzo stuff). I'll check on #2. I always dither during the PT Bounce to a 16 bit file.

#3 works in JAM. It will import playlist, regions, and files from SDII.
Old 08-09-1999, 08:49 PM

<>

I understand that this is usually the case; however I am using the exact same computer with the exact same burner and the exact same hard drives. The only difference is that it works great with version 1.4 and it doesn't work with version 2.1.
Old 08-10-1999, 01:56 PM

Hi all,

First off, Gantt and blairl, I would suggest that you guys call Digi tech support at (650)-842-6699. You might have better stability with the 2.1.2 version (or later when they come out), since these versions have SCSI code that has been completely rewritten.

As far as the two feature requests:

1) RAM cache -- I can't say for sure since I don't know the internals of Toast or Jam, but from the description, it would seem to be just a buffer in the computer's RAM (to supplement the buffer on the CDR) that buffers audio data from the hard disk. MLCD already has such a feature -- we call it the "hard disk play buffer" or "HD buffer" and you can change the setting of it on the "Setup" menu. While I think increasing the size might help reduce the risk of buffer underruns for some, I wouldn't expect it to prevent crashes.

2) Add all in the import dialog -- that comes up a lot from users. I admit it's a pain to add your files individually there and I'll look into adding that feature in the future. In the meantime, in case you don't know, a really convenient way to add multiple files is to select them in the Finder and drag them onto the MLCD icon (not the app, the icon).

Hope this helps.

-- Marc
Old 08-19-1999, 11:49 AM

Marc... thanks for your response. Sorry to be so long reacting, but things have been hectic. I'm using V.2.1.1. My understanding of how the update worked was that both 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 are downloaded and the installer decides which you need. I thought 2.1.2 was only for Blue and White G3s. Mine is a 233mHz beige one, and I have 2.1.1 installed. If there's a newer version I'd be glad to try it. Meanwhile (no offense...) I'm using Jam.