Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 02-23-2004, 07:56 PM

Default Re: PTFree-OSX : now it\'s really time

Early 90's - I started using Cubase Lite before I got my AMIII card, which I then bought Cubase($) to use via DAE. I had enough bad issues with Cubase and switched to DP($$) 6 years ago. Meanwhile PT3.2[0$](or whatever was the free version that used SoundManager back then) was available to use and I learned it(albeit that I had to print my own manual-400?pages) DP would access the AMIII card with no problems once I upgraded and I was happy (PT wasn't doing MIDI sufficiently, so I never considered it for sequencing) OK, jump up to 3 years ago and PT has upgraded their stuff(woohoo!) Well, at first it was a joke (as a sequencer) vs. Steinberg, Emagic, and DP but I kept the faith. Meanwhile, I was making tracks and getting paid(somewhat ;-) )The purchase of my G3 B+W Mac allowed me to upgrade to the DIGI001 with the PTLE5($$$). The MIDI was not perfect but it was OK(looked like DP). As the progress of PTLE growth has really gotten better, I am comfortable to use it as my main sequencer in OSX and OS9. I still think that DP handles their plug-ins more efficiently on my older G3(500Mhz that will be upgraded to 900Mhz soon) but overall PTLE's ability to sound like what I wanted after the bounce is still a main factor. Now, the real issue is whether Digi should provide an OSX version of PTFree...Well yes, because there are folks out there who have come up like me and want to have the choice to learn and use what is what we have considered an industry standard(but on current systems and OS, not legacy systems). Not all folks can go to school for this and the real folks who actually use PT don't get all of their important knowledge from using their product but from actual mentoring from seasoned veterans in the studio! Book knowledge is great but OJT is better!! I have been in studios where I have had to do some engineering(hmmm) to set the system for our projects because the assigned tech didn't know the goodies about PT. In short(hehehe), if Digi wants to keep their presence in the studio, their PTFree is an easy answer. If they think they can hold on to their market share of sales by their name alone, they will be suprised how many of their bread and butter customers(kids in school learning the PT way until they find out that they can do it cheaper on another platform) are quick to jump ship. The key is to be approachable and not sitting on a pedestal like a queen, waiting to see if you can be knocked off. I've worked on a lot of different platforms and the real key is that "garbage-in = garbage-out" is a very true statement.
I'm done ;-)