Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 05:07 AM

Default Is my machine going to perform well?

ok im buying the 002r i just built a P4 system to compensate for it and it looks as though it should with the amount of money i spent! heres wat i got tell me if this will perform good with maximum power out of PT6.7 with 32track and all the aux tracks and plugins i can get!

INTEL PENTIUM 4 3GHZ/1MB/800FSB/0.09u/S478/PRESCOTT
Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 (Supports new generation Dual Channel DDR400 architecture
C.I.A. (CPU Intelligent Accelerator) and M.I.B. (Memory Intelligent Booster) technologies enhances the platform performance to extreme.)

1GB KIT DDR PC3200 400Mhz Kingston + 256mb of kingston RAM 400mhz
Gigabyte AGP 128M ATI 9250 TV/Twinview
Western Digital 60G 7200RPM ATA-100 (system drive)
Western Digital 120G 7200RPM 8MB ATA-100 (audio drive 1)
Western Digital 80G 7200RPM 8MB SATA (audio drive 2)
Liteon DVD±R/DVD±RW 12xRetail
Windows XP Pro service pack1

i think that covers everything
can some just tell me if this is going to perform well! please dnt tell me what i should get i just wanna know if its gonna perform good! Thanks guys!
Old 03-28-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Is my machine going to perform well?

If the mobo has an approved chipset, it should do a good job. I would skip the 256 RAM stick and maybe put the 2nd audio drive into a firewire case so you can copy a session to take to another studio. Format it FAT32 and it will read on PC and MAC. I don't know if that mobo has firewire ports(and if it does, they may still not work with the 002) so you may need to buy an approved firewire card, but that's only $40 so its not a big deal.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-28-2005, 09:51 PM

ok, yea well ive already got the ram in it theres 1.25gig of RAM in the machine and the mobo has a firewire socket for me to put the 002 in, but its a built in one in the mobo so how do i see if its compatible with 002r?

the mobo is a pretty good one it was the most recomended mobo in Australia so yeah.

all it says in my booklet about the firewire(1394) is IEEE 1394 (bycable)
Old 03-29-2005, 02:06 AM

That's pretty close to my machine. It works very well for me (I have P4 2.8 gHz, 800mHz FSB, 1 MB DDR, external firewire drive). I have plenty of sessions just oozing with plugins and haven't hit the wall yet.

I plug it in with my firewire drive between my Digi002 and the computer. The motherboard's firewire port works fine.

You have to watch out for illogical things that will eat up your processing power - like when I had a session with drums on Reason and 5 other midi channels on Sampletank - I had to record the Reason drums to audio and unplug Reason.

About the only problem message I get anymore is "can't access audio disk fast enough." Closing the session down and re-starting it usually cures that (things you don't need may be holding onto memory).
Old 03-29-2005, 03:32 AM

pretty close to my machine as well. I disabled a few windows applications etc, and i've done 6 albums on my 002R with barely any issues at all! My last was quite demanding for a 002. Some of my sessions were sitting at around 70 tracks. just had to mix sub groups, and bounce/print.

for eg, i'll have a session with 40 or more plugins running, plus 2 verbs both up (IR1 and Rennaisence) plus a couple of delays etc.

My only issues arise when i try to work my midi/softsynths too hard with a small latency buffer (64 or 128).

If you configure your system well, you should get a pretty smooth and effective set up.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:35 AM

ok cool thanks guys for all the feedback, i use just unsure because everyones saying how great AMD is and that most P4 systems arent performing so well etc. so i was like great went out and bought parts and put it together for nothing, but you two guys have re-assured me . hopefully gettin the 002r within the next week or so, ill post back to tell you how everything is running!

Thanks again for all the support
Old 03-29-2005, 08:01 AM

I modeled my build on the top-line Carillion that Digi "endorses" as a pre-fab XP computer optimized for PTLE. Same motherboard, RAM, FSB, etc. Pretty much the same as yours. Yours actually would be top-line because of the faster processor, mine being 2.8. That is the only difference.

Apparently there is a DaveC who defined a test where the AMDs perform better. But as we said, ours work fine in real life and there is nothing specifically scientific about DaveC to say it corresponds to normal session usage. The test involves seeing how many tracks you can record simultaneously, but for me it is more a matter of how many EQs, Compressors, Delays and midi/audio tracks I can have playing simultaneously. And as we said - (almost) no problems.

I am sure the AMDs also do well, and they are cheaper. But you certainly didn't waste your money.