Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2014, 09:23 AM
Avid

Default Re: Warning! Don't sync your ilok account

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_daw View Post
...I can't launch ProTools it says my iLok is not authorized. I'm skeptical to sync/repair my iLok because of all this. When I sign into my iLok account and also my iLok manager all my licenses are still there.

DOes that mean I'm good to go with a sync/repair?...
I started a support case to get more info. Please check your email for a case notice and reply to that.
Thanks,
JC
Old 04-18-2014, 09:31 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
Same thing happened to me with a PT 11 license I bought from eBay.
All of a sudden it disappeared from my iLok some time ago. When I contacted Avid about it, they said these licenses were stolen, and that it's my own tough luck that I payed for something, that Avid/iLok "had to" take away.

Didn't find it funny then, don't find things happening with iLok funny now.
I remember working with you on that case - I didn't find it funny either. The seller in your case was identified for fraudulent activity and action was taken with them (can't get into more detail).
-JC
Old 04-18-2014, 09:41 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
...I checked ilok.com, and avid.com among others...
Getting off topic here (we should move this to the Heartbleed thread) but you are stating that ilok.com was unsafe, though the info you posted clearly says "unsure" and "unclear" so to set the record straight... ilok.com is not vulnerable to Heartbleed.

iLok posted info here and Avid has published a Heartbleed FAQ here.

-JC
Old 04-18-2014, 10:05 AM

I just ran into something frightening. EW (aka Soundsonline) who make all kinds of orchestral libraries for the Play engine deleted a thread I started where I mentioned about the iLok issue people are running into here and to be careful if you decide to sync your iLok. The reason they gave me was they didn't want to frighten their customers, that EW doesn't allow resales of libraries, and that they (EW) would be the ones to tell people if there was a problem.

Apparently they didn't bother to read the two threads from here I linked to that show it's not only resold licenses but initial purchases that are being deleted from people's iLoks. I wrote back to them and will be waiting to see what kind of response I get back.

edit for update:
Just heard back from admins at EW and the reason they gave me for deleting the post was that it was considered 'industry sensitive' and they don't allow criticism of companies they work with. I never criticized iLok or anyone else - just tried to make the community aware over there of these issues.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 04-18-2014 at 10:35 AM. Reason: heard back from EW on thread deletion
Old 04-18-2014, 10:15 AM
Development Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Getting off topic here (we should move this to the Heartbleed thread) but you are stating that ilok.com was unsafe, though the info you posted clearly says "unsure" and "unclear" so to set the record straight... ilok.com is not vulnerable to Heartbleed.

iLok posted info here and Avid has published a Heartbleed FAQ here.

-JC
JC is correct. I'll post this here rather than the Heartbleed post for clarity.

The report says "Possibly Unsafe" and "Assessment: It's not clear if it was vulnerable..." because the test at lastpass.com can't really tell. They may not be checking for an actual vulnerability, but may be just trying to check the version of OpenSSL. We have additional security on top of it, so they aren't able to even see the version - hence the "It's not clear..." assessment.

Our sites and services use a version of OpenSSL from the 0.9.8 branch, which was never vulnerable. If you'd like to check sites you use with a more robust test that actually looks for the vulnerability, you can try https://filippo.io/Heartbleed

So, since our user facing services have never used a vulnerable OpenSSL version, we have never been vulnerable. The test at https://filippo.io/Heartbleed proves this by attempting the vulnerability and failing.

I hope this helps.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I remember working with you on that case - I didn't find it funny either. The seller in your case was identified for fraudulent activity and action was taken with them (can't get into more detail).
-JC
That's good for Avid, but I'm still bereaft of my money and one PT license short.
Shouldn't "taking action against them" also include reparations for the victims of their fraud?

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 04-18-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I started a support case to get more info. Please check your email for a case notice and reply to that.

Thanks,

JC

JC,

Thank you so much for the help, and so quickly. I have solved the problem and I think it may have been user error. What are the chances that my 'TLC' option expired around the same time as this issue? I'm thinking that was the issue. Did a sync/repair and refresh on my 'TLC' and now all is well here in FBRrecording land! Going to set myself a reminder to refresh my 'TLC' every 90days.

So impressed with your response to this matter. Thank you again.

Wes
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 04-18-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_daw View Post
What are the chances that my 'TLC' option expired around the same time as this issue?
Wes

I was thinking the same thing - but I'm sure pace has a button that makes u sync regardless if how much time you have left on your sync for TLC
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
I was thinking the same thing - but I'm sure pace has a button that makes u sync regardless if how much time you have left on your sync for TLC

They may, but I try to refrain from running the iLok manager unless I have an issue. So I'm unsure how often it may make you try to run the sync. What made me think it was the TLC was that I remembered that a few months ago...LOL probably 3, I had the same issue.

Once I reviewed the TLC data you see that they indicate that if you do not sync and 'refresh' your TLC then after 90 days, then your iLok will stop working as if it was stolen or lost.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 04-19-2014, 03:37 PM

At this point I have to say, it's irresponsible to rely on Ilok for anything. I have my old TDM system with a functional Ilok key that I will *never* touch again, *never* sync, nothing of the sort, and I will CERTAINLY not buy any software license that is held hostage to the whims of this hack company. This kind of incompetence would result in immediate firing of your ass in just about any business except maybe fast food.