Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 05-11-2014, 05:48 AM

Default EZDrummer 2 vs Superior Dmr 2.32?

..or whatever the latest version of superior Drummer is.

So with the release of EZ Drummer, Superior Drummer still the much better version to get or has the average-Joe's version gotten a lot better? Is it worth it to get Superior Drummer any more?

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2014, 08:55 AM

Default Re: EZDrummer 2 vs Superior Dmr 2.32?

I purchased the EZ Drummer 2 upgrade and will use its new search, browser, and song construction tools for composing and arranging. If necessary, I can later replace it with Superior Drummer 2 at the mixing stage for better sounds. Having said that, I am liking the kits in EZ Drummer 2 so far.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWgEAR View Post
I purchased the EZ Drummer 2 upgrade and will use its new search, browser, and song construction tools for composing and arranging. If necessary, I can later replace it with Superior Drummer 2 at the mixing stage for better sounds. Having said that, I am liking the kits in EZ Drummer 2 so far.
+1

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 05-11-2014, 12:33 PM

Thanks fro the replies so far. I appreciate them.

I do like the idea of the key & match or learn and match functionality enough to want to get that anyhow if superior did not have such functionality, and it sounds like that's the case. It makes me wonder I there's a superior upgrade coming down the pike.

Have either of you (or anyone) an opinion or gut feeling on the sound quality differences between the Toontrack products and Strike 2.0 or maybe even NI's Kontakt based Abbey Roads & Studio Drummer sounds? I know that's a difficult thing to gauge, especially from patch to patch differences and not being able to A/B them in a proper manner.

Is there a big library of MIDI with the EZ2 package, or does come only after getting a couple of the MIDI packs?
Old 05-11-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
Have either of you (or anyone) an opinion or gut feeling on the sound quality differences between the Toontrack products and Strike 2.0 or maybe even NI's Kontakt based Abbey Roads & Studio Drummer sounds?
I own all of the above plus BFD, Slate, Addictive Drums, RMX, Drumcore, and a few others I've probably forgotten about. Overall for rock/pop acoustic drum sounds, I like the Toontrack stuff best, followed by Studio Drummer.

The EZ Drummer MIDI content is satisfactory to start with, but the Toontrack MIDI packs really cover a lot of ground. You can get them at Audio Deluxe for not a lot of $.

I hope these features come in SD 3, but I expect that to be a while (hope I'm mistaken). Meanwhile, I've got big songwriting plans for this summer with EZD 2!
Old 05-11-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWgEAR View Post
I own all of the above plus BFD, Slate, Addictive Drums, RMX, Drumcore, and a few others I've probably forgotten about. Overall for rock/pop acoustic drum sounds, I like the Toontrack stuff best, followed by Studio Drummer.

The EZ Drummer MIDI content is satisfactory to start with, but the Toontrack MIDI packs really cover a lot of ground. You can get them at Audio Deluxe for not a lot of $.

I hope these features come in SD 3, but I expect that to be a while (hope I'm mistaken). Meanwhile, I've got big songwriting plans for this summer with EZD 2!
That sounds like what I'm after then. Thanks for the intel.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:04 PM

I just starting working with EZ Drummer 2 on a new song but I build up the whole drum part in EZ Drummer 2 and when I was sure I was done with it I took EZ Drummer off the track and put SD 2 on that track and worked with the SD 2 Mixer in there until I got what I really wanted so using both tools I think works best, as for sound quality they both sound good, I really never like to say anything sounds better than something else it just sounds different.

Main:
Model: Dell 5750 Precision Workstation
CPU:*Intel Core Processor i7-10750H (6 Core, 12MB Cache, 2.60 GHz to 5.00 GHz,
Memory:64GB, 2X32GB,DDR4 2933Mhz Non-ECC
OS M.2 512GB PCIe NVMe, Record Intel 1TB SSD, 2T SSD, 1TB SSD
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen
AVID Pro Tools 2023.12
JBL LSR4328P 8"
JBL LSR310S 10 inch Powered Studio Subwoofer*
Yamaha HS50M Studio Monitors
Alesis Elevate 3 Studio Monitors
M-Audio Axiom 61 Midi Controller
Old 05-11-2014, 11:44 PM
Space Cabin Audio

I use both. I use EZ2 for composing and SD2 for the sounds. Just make sure you choose MIDI Out in EZ2 and then set the the MIDI in to SD2 Best of both worlds!

Kris
May the music move you
Old 05-12-2014, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris75 View Post
I use both. I use EZ2 for composing and SD2 for the sounds. Just make sure you choose MIDI Out in EZ2 and then set the the MIDI in to SD2 Best of both worlds!
So at least a few of you do this. Does SD sound that much better? (to you?)
Old 05-12-2014, 12:33 PM
Space Cabin Audio

It just has a few more options to control the output of the drums as well as having the offline bounce feature which sounds much more realistic to me at least.

Kris
May the music move you