Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-02-2005, 02:05 PM

Default What is this Digi???

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/702521/

It's the M-Audio Project Mix and it's compatible with Pro Tools M-Powered...It looks like it has the same features as the 002 and everything, but offered at less than half the price.

Why would Avid/Digi do this to their loyal Pro Tools customers? It pisses me off. People who are really devoted and spend the $2200+ on the 002, get shafted the very next week when M-Audio releases this Project Mix thing. "Sorry you wasted your money, you should have waited." And this unit even has word clock!!! Something a lot of LE users have been wanting for awhile now. I just can't believe they would put their own LE line out of business. Why buy a 002r now then? If you can get this cheaper and have a control surface AND word clock.

sigh
of course no one in marketing/advertising is going to respond to this, though.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: What is this Digi???

The main difference is that the M-audio stuff sounds like crap, the converters/pres. Believe me, I have M-audio stuff and a 002 rack, and the 002 sounds much much better!. But for the price you do get a nice control surface

Joz
Old 11-02-2005, 03:18 PM

Don't forget also, MPowered is an even more crippled version than LE in that you can't use the digitranslator or the dvtoolkit.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 11-02-2005, 03:27 PM

Quote:

It's the M-Audio Project Mix and it's compatible with Pro Tools M-Powered...It looks like it has the same features as the 002 and everything, but offered at less than half the price.

Why would Avid/Digi do this to their loyal Pro Tools customers? It pisses me off. People who are really devoted and spend the $2200+ on the 002, get shafted the very next week when M-Audio releases this Project Mix thing. "Sorry you wasted your money, you should have waited." And this unit even has word clock!!! Something a lot of LE users have been wanting for awhile now. I just can't believe they would put their own LE line out of business. Why buy a 002r now then? If you can get this cheaper and have a control surface AND word clock.

sigh
I'm surprized that the president of Avid hasn't responded to your post, as it seems like you've blown the whistle on a major error in Digidesign's marketing strategy.
I'm sure they'll get in touch with you personally, and offer YOU the job.
Stay by your phone.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:30 PM

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 11-02-2005, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I'm surprized that the president of Avid hasn't responded to your post, as it seems like you've blown the whistle on a major error in Digidesign's marketing strategy.
Stay by your phone.
oh, come on man....don't be a dick
I'm sure if you had just bought the 002 you would have been pissed as well.
Word clock, two headphone inputs, a jog wheel and more pres.

Sure the 002 probably sounds better, but most people who are interested in better sound anyway are going to buy their own dedicated pres/converters. And the M-Audio software isn't THAT limited. No DigiTranslator and DV Toolkit? Your average home user wouldn't be using those anyway (which is probably one of the reasons they left it off).

forget I even posted this then if no one finds this the LEAST bit interesting.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Stay by your phone.
oh, come on man....don't be a dick
I'm sure if you had just bought the 002 you would have been pissed as well.
Word clock, two headphone inputs, a jog wheel and more pres.

Sure the 002 probably sounds better, but most people who are interested in better sound anyway are going to buy their own dedicated pres/converters. And the M-Audio software isn't THAT limited. No DigiTranslator and DV Toolkit? Your average home user wouldn't be using those anyway (which is probably one of the reasons they left it off).

forget I even posted this then if no one finds this the LEAST bit interesting.
I love it when these new guys come in here "railing against the machine."
It makes me chuckle.

For the record, my friend, I DID buy the 002, and I'm not the SLIGHTEST bit upset by this particular controller.
You still need M Powered software, which I have zero interest in.
So...you'll pay $1,300.00 for this box and the M Powered software, or $2,199.00 for a Digi002, or
$1199.00 for an 002R.
Personally, I'd much rather have either the 002R or the 002 (which I DO have), than anything that runs M Powered.
But...it does open up a cost efficient solution for those who don't want to spend the bux the 002.
You see, it's actually a SMART bit of marketing.

But...I guess they should have consulted with you before they released it. I mean, afterall, YOU just bought an 002, and had they known you were going to toss a hissy fit with the release of the M Audio ProjectMix, maybe they would have scrapped the whole plan.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:30 PM

To be fair, bennychico is the biggest pro tools le fanboy on the internet. He's been bigging up pro tools le on home recording dot com in the face of HUGE opposition from fans of other formats for years.

He's pro tools certified, works with pro tools for a living and knows his onions. He's even the co-founder of protoolsforum.com. He's not by any means a "new guy".

This does seem like the 003 we've all been waiting for but for half the price we all just paid for our systems. You have to admit it sucks just a bit. Well, alot. I can't believe that the converters and pres are so crap they aren't worth something. Don't people keep mentioning the crap ADAT converters that Jagged Little Pill was recorded on years ago? This will surely be better quality conversion than that?

Well, I guess all I'm saying is that you should perhaps read the post, digest the information and think about it before you blindly leap to Digidesign's defense.

Please don't lay into me now. I'm playing devil's advocate. I, like benychico am still a big fan of the pro tools format.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:58 PM

Quote:

sigh

Another outburst like this, and EJ is likely to give you a piece of his mind. Choose your words and your attitude wisely. That is friendly advice my man.

And, PIPE down.

www.readyacoustics.com
Old 11-02-2005, 06:10 PM

It's really not a massive outburst. It's just the post of someone who is a bit shocked. Honestly Benny is a very helpful pro tools pro. If you came to look at protoolsforum.com you'd see that most people turn to him for pro tools advice.

it's just colourful rhetoric in the first post. i happen to agree with it.

There is a tendancy here if one person disagrees with a given opinion, everyone else piles in like a pack of wolves. It reminds me of those bar fights when loads of people surround some poor guy who voiced an unpopular opinion and one small incident becomes a huge thing. "HE LIKES COUNTRY MUSIC! BREAK HIS LEGS!"