Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2006, 07:01 AM

Default getting the vocals inside the music

my dilemma i get musical mixes, and record good vox. but i cant seem to get the vox in a good blend with the music, is it in my compression or is it just my ear? ANYBODY GOT ANY GOOD TIPS?
Old 10-13-2006, 07:57 AM

Default Re: getting the vocals inside the music

Welcome to the DUC.

The whole song is not a solo no matter what the band thinks-- somebody's gonna have to compromise!

Sometimes it' a matter of what I've heard called "carving a hole with EQ" for your vocals to sit in-- happens between instruments as well-- if there's too much happening in one frequency range the part you want will be drowned out. For instance I am always having to scoop some high mids out of the rhythm guitar to hear the piano line.

With vocals in particular, you might need some tasteful compression, as they can be too peaky to get very loud without going into the red. Red (clip) is really bad in Pro Tools (input, plugin, or masters), by the way. Too much compression of the instruments can make them into a brick wall nothing will get through. Get the mix working as a whole, with some headroom, before you compress the masters.

Or... the suggestion nobody ever seems to want... you might have to turn down the band if you want to hear the words!!

Trust your ears-- they're the best tool you can have-- but looking at different kinds of meters (peak / RMS / spectrum / even SPL on live gigs) once in awhile sure doesn't hurt!

Scott
Old 10-13-2006, 07:58 AM

OK, well, you haven't really given us enough information to really be able to help you. There are pletny of general and generic tips or strategies out there on recording and mixing vocals, just do a Search for them.

But if you are looking for specific help with your mixes, then you really need to provide us with more information about what you are doing. What is your set-up like? What is in your signal path? What is your monitoring situation like? What is it about the blend of the vocals with the instruments that you don't like? What kind of music are you recording? Is there a certain style or sound you are trying to achieve?

It would even be better if you could post a clip so we can hear what you are talking about!
Old 10-16-2006, 07:46 AM

Is this before or after mastering? Mix the thing as well as you can. Then hit it with a c4 on multi-electro, then a L1-ult max so you get max about 4db, This always sit my vocals right in. These can't take anything and make it amazing, but it does a fine job of making something good sound great.

The Note Music
www.myspace.com/thenotemusic
Dual 2.0Ghz PPC 3gb Ram, Digi 002R
Old 10-16-2006, 07:57 AM

WHATS THE CT4 AND OTHE PLUG YOU MENTIONED
Old 10-18-2006, 05:32 AM

you can also try MID-SIDE processing. in other words, duck everything else from the center and then put lead voc into that space. Waves S1 makes this easy.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:17 PM

C4 is a multi-band compressor, and L1 is a lookahead limiter and dther... These are both waves plug-ins available in several packages.. Check it out at waves.com Their stuff is bomb, you can't go wrong, reverbs, compressors, eq's everything...

The Note Music
www.myspace.com/thenotemusic
Dual 2.0Ghz PPC 3gb Ram, Digi 002R
Old 10-24-2006, 09:14 PM

Quote:
C4 is a multi-band compressor, and L1 is a lookahead limiter and dther... These are both waves plug-ins available in several packages.. Check it out at waves.com Their stuff is bomb, you can't go wrong, reverbs, compressors, eq's everything...
Well, apparently you can go wrong when you learn about WUP, in many peoples' comments
Old 10-27-2006, 07:41 AM

what does WUP stand for?
Old 10-27-2006, 08:27 AM

Waves Update Program

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12