Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2003, 08:13 PM

Default Mixing / Mastering for TV????

HI, I've heard differing opinions on this matter. I have been told to really squash the track and get it as loud as possible, alternatively I've read that it is not a good idea to squash a track too much if it is going to end up on TV because the compressors and limiters used at the station will squash it even further and make it sound dull and over compressed.

I have done some ad work over the past year for both TV and radio and although I've never had any negative comments about the sound of my work on TV I feel like it could come across better. So any and all suggestions, techniques, magic tricks ect would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2003, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Mixing / Mastering for TV????

I have heard that compressing heavily at the mixing stage actually helps the end result sound because it won`t allow the compressers at the t.v. station to squash your stuff....since you already did. Your audio will be very dynamically controlled, and it will allow the compressors to only minorly adjust your audio
Old 07-22-2003, 08:48 PM

That is exactly my school of thought...... also I've heard that an easy roll off of low frequencies like 40-30hz stops station compressors working to much by compressing frequencies that most TV don't even reproduce.

Thanks for the reply. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2003, 12:38 AM

Eq yes...compression no. As I understand it the broadcast compressor works a lot better if it sees some dynamics to start with. If they are all gone you just get a mess. There's some good info on this in Bob Katz's book.

Jack
Old 07-23-2003, 08:44 AM

Pepperman,
It also helps to listen to your mix on a similar monitor that you listen to at home or wherever you are making your judgements about how it sounds. Such as you listen to your mix at work on a 27" TV and then hear it on air listening to the same 27" at home or work. Just watch your levels and never exceed peaks of 10db over reference. If 0= -20db, then do not peak over -10db.One more thing, make sure you listen at 78 spl at work for your final judgements because it is closer to what most people listen to at home.
Good Luck,
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:24 PM

Thanks to all that have replied so far. So Dr Sound are you with Stunz0 or Jack on the issue of compression??

I have been told that broadcast compressors are set up to make all tracks come across at the same level, doesn't this totally contradict this whole craze of everyone mastering louder and LOUDER so their tracks will be LOUDER than everyone elses??

[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]