Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 01-30-2017, 12:21 AM

Default Advice needed on setting up session templates

Hi I'm new to the thread but jus want to know the effective way of setting up a session, I've been using presets but wanna get a little more in depth with session set up and plug in efficiency to make my own template. I'm using pro tools 12 with waves complete and UA plus ins! i mostly record as and artist find myself engineering everyone around me work
Old 01-30-2017, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Advice needed on setting up session templates

Here is what I did. I took a completed mix of what I consider an "average" session(full session, full of plugins and 5 headphone mixes done with 5 AUX sends feeding outputs). I removed all the audio and stripped out all automation. Then I looked at Delay Compensation numbers and made plugins inactive if they added more than 7 samples(not that 7 was a target, its just that the next higher compensation number was 64). I then renamed every audio track in the following style(after deleting all except the main playlists):
Kick.01
Snare.01
Hat.01
ect.
The reason for the .01 for each AUDIO track is because, when I create a new playlist, PT will automatically rename each to the next number(so I know that "Egtr.03" is the third take). I also created several groups(Drums, Acoustic mic pair, etc).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-02-2017, 08:29 PM

As usual, there are multiple ways to achieve the goal.

Albee has suggested one way, which is good and probably saves time. However I like to setup a template from scratch and by doing so I've gotten better at it.
When doing this it pays to have a preconceived idea on what one is trying to achieve. For instance,
Recording a single guitar with multiple VI's to jam along with?
Recording a live band?
Recording a mix of multiple instruments/Vocals (with or without VI's)?
Mastering an already recorded session?
Staying 'In the box' or using outboard gear?
Use discrete tracks from Drum VI or just one stereo track?
Use discrete Bus for Aux tracks with FX or Compressor, EQ, etc to route multiple tracks to?

There are many scenarios, the above few just being a small sample.

Once you know what you're trying to achieve, create a new blank session. Create all the tracks required (Instrument, Audio, Aux, Midi, Master). Route (bus) everything to where it's needed to go, create groups (and VCA masters) if required and name/color code everything, insert plugins (or not).

Once satisfied, 'Save As Template'.
I create a shortcut to desktop for each template so I can quickly open the one which best suits my needs for what I'm trying to achieve. Open the template, 'Save As'/Name current session to recording drive ( I've gotten into the habit of doing this before starting any work) then get to work.

Best thing you can do IMHO is make lots of templates with different scenarios in mind and use them to see where their shortcoming are and modify or create new one/s. Bear in mind you can just add or delete tracks whilst using current template and 'Save as Template' with a new name so the original one stays intact.

Think of a Template as a leaping off or mere starting point. Each session will likely stretch and morph the template into something barely recognizable in the end, which may or may not be saved as a new template (besides the session itself) which in essence is what Albee is doing.

Practice makes perfect.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O

Last edited by zedhed; 02-02-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:30 PM

Indeed^^^ I only glossed over the basic path, but I also have at least 10 templates for full band, acoustic/vocal demo, piano/vocal demo, vocal to a track, etc. On top of that, I also have Track Presets for a full drum kit, electric guitars(4 audio tracks with 2 AUX mono reverb tracks), DI guitars with amp sim plugins, acoustic guitars(2 grouped pairs plus a reverb aux track), a preset for talkback(3 AUX tracks with Muto-matic and limiters).

Remember, the cool thing about digital is, there's 4 ways to do anything. The bad thing about digital is, there's 4 ways .......

Old 02-03-2017, 08:32 AM

My preset is the "new track" command. Adding half a dozen empty tracks at the time does the trick. Oh, and better not forget creating master fader for the monitoring output.

Each track needs individual treatment anyway. How much time it takes to instantiate the plugin you need for that particular track you're processing?

I've found that whatever you record should sound nice without plugins and less is more.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
My preset is the "new track" command. Adding half a dozen empty tracks at the time does the trick. Oh, and better not forget creating master fader for the monitoring output.

Each track needs individual treatment anyway. How much time it takes to instantiate the plugin you need for that particular track you're processing?

I've found that whatever you record should sound nice without plugins and less is more.
Agreed Probably 1/3rd of the plugins that are on my session and track templates are inactive until mixdown