Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-24-2005, 12:44 PM

Default MIDI Limitations/Capabilities

I have a MDD Dual 1gHz G4 (OS X 10.3.8, since yesterday by accident... before that on 10.3.4) with 2GB of RAM and a Digi 001 on PT LE 6.4. I started programming midi in Pro Tools a couple months ago, and am extremely disappointed by my system limitations. I am using Ivory, BFD, Trilogy, and Atmosphere as plug-in instruments. I find that I max my system out after using 2 plug-ins (one instance each). Pro Tools will either "unexpectedly quit" or I tell me that I need to increase hardware buffer size and recording/playback will stop. I have tried dedicating 1 processor to Pro Tools and having the buffer at 1024 samples and I still can only get a maximum of 2 plug-ins (on separate aux tracks) and 3-4 midi tracks. I know that these virtual instruments are processor intensive, but I feel like I should be getting more out of my system. I have always had problems with my computer in the past and have replaced the logic board, hard drive, and processors (twice). I am wondering if the problem lies in my computer, or if I just have unrealistic expectations of what my system can achieve. If anyone is using midi in Pro Tools with demanding software instruments (especially Ivory or BFD) I would really like to know what setup you have (including peripherals), what your max track count is, how your system performs, and if you have any suggestions for a reliable way to work. It is difficult for me to otherwise know the root of the problem as my computer has always been so unreliable. I am finding it impossible to work and am getting extremely frustrated. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:27 PM
FXpansion Audio

Default Re: MIDI Limitations/Capabilities

Did you get the latest update for your BFD? There have been a great deal of optimizations and stability fixes to BFD since its release.. be sure to download the very latest update.