Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2004, 11:31 AM

Default Need QT video in 2 places

Hi Everyone,

I'm being thrown into some post-production work for the first time. I have a G4 running PT 6.2.3 with a 192 I/O. Someone has asked to help them with some ADR. My question is how do I set up my system so that both the talent reading in the booth and myself in the control room can see the video. The video is a quicktime movie. I have a dual monitor setup with an apple cinema display and a studio display. The cinema display is in the control room and the studio display is in the booth. I can put the movie window on the studio monitor in the booth, but then I can't follow along. I tried sending a DV stream out of firewire to the booth, but then the movie window just displays video playing out of firewire. My question is, can I send a QT movie imported into PT to two places. Any help would be appriciated. Thanks

Mike
Old 08-03-2004, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Need QT video in 2 places

You need something like a Canopus DV Converter box to "play video out Firewire port", then you can DA the Composite video to as many rooms as you have DA outputs and monitors to receive it. I do not know of a way other than that to get the picture to two or more rooms....BTW, we do a lot of ADR here and that's the way we've done it for quite awhile. Hope this helps.

http://www.canopus.us/US/products/AD...m_advc-100.asp
Old 08-03-2004, 04:02 PM

Thanks for the info. I ran the DV stream out of a fire wire port into a Sony Media Convertor, but then the movie viewer in pro-tools goes black. This will work for me to get the video into a monitor in the booth, but is there a way to eliminate the need for a seperate monitor in the control room so I can watch the video on my computer monitor.

Mike
Old 08-03-2004, 04:26 PM

Hello. Rabbielvis the answer to your question is no. Unless one of your computer monitors has a video input and you hide one of the Pro Tools windows. But at that point aren't you basically just doing the same thing as routing it to another monitor?

The movie inside of Pro Tools can either be seen inside the session or spit out DV through Firewire, not both.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:34 AM

Yes you can do it - i use it all the time.

there are a couple ways - one is to use video mirroring so that everything appearing on your monitor also appears on the other monitor. Useful if you only have the two monitors, but the talent sees everything you do and can be distracting.

If you have three monitors (my setup) then you can have a dual monitoring setup on your desk with the QT movie playing on one monitor and PT running on the other. Using a video splitter box - i use one by lindy.com - (the one to use would depend on the monitor connections you are using - mine splits/amplifies the svga signal and feeds it to 2 monitors) the signal going to the second monitor can be duplicated on the booth monitor. This also get saway from any sync problems associated with sending video via firewire converters.
Considering how cheaply old pc monitors can be got hold of these days, it could be worth a try.

adam
Old 08-04-2004, 08:15 AM

Hello. Basically what lightning ad is doing is splitting the VGA signal, while most people split the DV signal. Either way it's accomplished, the only way for the QT movie to go to more than one monitor is to split it (or DA it). Whether the signal is inside of the Pro Tools session or spit out DV through Firewire. However, it can't be both at the same time.

Your choice on which one you want to split.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:50 AM

Thanks for all the help. I"m going to go the route of splitting the VGA so I can request another monitor for my set-up.