Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2018, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Plugin Overload - or - The Excitement is Gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
So you would have to save it as a pre-set? Toontrack doesn't let one copy and paste a plug in their mixer, either. Kind of annoying with the workaround I have to do on some more heavily treated patches of theirs to go from stereo to multi-out.

I have not tried Amplitude since, I dunno, many years. I've read some of the threads you guys have had on the guitar amp emulators and went with a few PIA and the Scuffham package. It seems that some like the more recent efforts from IKM. I'd like to say that my previous experience with Amplitude is holding me back from trying more recent efforts, but that would be dishonest. You and others have touched on part of it with their upgrade pricing, but that is only part of it. I cannot put it into 50 words or less, so will leave alone for a while.
A preset would work. The other thing is creating it manually but that's a pain in the rump.

Not all of Amplitube's amp models are good at all with the current crop of Marshalls being the worst. The Mesa/Boogie and Fender collections are pretty good and so is the original Ampeg collection. The Engl Powerball is a disappointment so if I need that kind of sound I use the Engl VS646 emulation from Plugin Alliance.

QAPLA!
Old 03-31-2018, 09:57 AM

The Hiwatt of AT is a monster, so are the AC30 and the JC120 amps.

The problem with IK is their tech side, it's been over a year that I haven't been able to run AT in standalone, support case in standby
Old 03-31-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
The Hiwatt of AT is a monster, so are the AC30 and the JC120 amps.

The problem with IK is their tech side, it's been over a year that I haven't been able to run AT in standalone, support case in standby
The incompetence of IK tech support is only matched by that of NI. Both equally clueless.

Standalone AT4 hasn't been good for me either - crashes when I try and call up one of the setups from the factory presets. Trying to run it inside Patchwork is also an instant crash when trying to select anything the than the default amp. Which leaves me running it inside a dummy PT session. And that solves the problem of the lost gain due to IK removing an input gain stage that was in AT3. When inside a host there's no gain change but try and run AT4 outside a host and you'll see the input gain is WAY down.

It's these kinds of things along with their pricing, that has driven me off of IK product. OH yeah there's one more issue. Unless they fixed it the 5 string variant of the MODO bass isn't fully tuneable

QAPLA!
Old 04-01-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
The incompetence of IK tech support is only matched by that of NI. Both equally clueless.

Standalone AT4 hasn't been good for me either - crashes when I try and call up one of the setups from the factory presets. Trying to run it inside Patchwork is also an instant crash when trying to select anything the than the default amp. Which leaves me running it inside a dummy PT session. And that solves the problem of the lost gain due to IK removing an input gain stage that was in AT3. When inside a host there's no gain change but try and run AT4 outside a host and you'll see the input gain is WAY down.

It's these kinds of things along with their pricing, that has driven me off of IK product. OH yeah there's one more issue. Unless they fixed it the 5 string variant of the MODO bass isn't fully tuneable
OT, but sort of related. Anything good in that Waves GTR3? I've got Scuffham, Eleven mkII and several from PIA (bassdude, megadual, rockrack and chandler). I'm filling out the PIA collection as they come on sale.

I might get the bass amp from IKM everyone seems to like at some point. However, my current set up is doing me very well. An ampeg PF500 head direct in and some bx_Bassdude on the side is doing me well.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:09 AM

The one thing you need to keep in mind when trying GTR is that it was intentionally created to deliver tones that have been optimized for working in context with other instruments. It won't give you the sound of a raw guitar/amp/mic setup, rather it will sound premixed minimizing the need to add additional processes. That's why many people find it sounds thin in isolation.
I personally think it's worth having, I might get it next time the plugin version goes on sale.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
The one thing you need to keep in mind when trying GTR is that it was intentionally created to deliver tones that have been optimized for working in context with other instruments. It won't give you the sound of a raw guitar/amp/mic setup, rather it will sound premixed minimizing the need to add additional processes. That's why many people find it sounds thin in isolation.
I personally think it's worth having, I might get it next time the plugin version goes on sale.
It's definitely worth having when they put it on sale for under $50. It's worth it for the stomp box effects alone. I like how you can load up a stomp only plugin and use that with other amp sims that don't have integrated effects like the Plugin Alliance stuff, which is top notch.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-02-2018, 06:32 AM

I guess maybe I'm getting old but these days I just can't keep up with the plugins that come out. I tend to stick with what I have (Waves, Eventide, SoundToys, SSL mainly).

Same thing with guitar pedals. There's just so many that it makes me uninterested.

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 04-02-2018, 08:00 AM

Hahah yep.

I don’t even get the free ones anymore

It’s great for a new guy coming up and trying to build the arsenal, but I have enough.

I am still waiting for a new plug or 2 to drop from Plugin Alliance to complete my Pick Pack

But that’s just b/c they are all AAX-DSP
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:06 AM

Plus the plugin list can get out of control...and the screen.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:55 AM

I got an upgrade deal on softube volume 2 collection that I didn't really need but ive read good things so what the heck , but I think I'm about done cuz I've hit that point where I forget what I have now.