Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2005, 06:29 AM

Default Best pitch shift audiosuite plugin?

hi,

i'm looking for an audiosuite pitch shifting plug in that has a "harmonic correction" function, to
prevent the dreaded chipmunk sound when shifting vocals a step or two.

i regularly use serato pitch'n'time, speed and digidesign's Pitch Shift, and although they sound decent enough, none of them have this option.

what other good pitch shift plugs are available for HD? not looking for autotune, pitchdoctor and such, although i'm aware they
can be used in audiosuite as well.

any input is greatly appreciated!

thanks,
BBB
Old 04-04-2005, 07:41 AM

Default Re: Best pitch shift audiosuite plugin?

If you're after saving "alternative" tuned takes you should check Celemony Melodyne.
It's a "sepearated" tool with greatest detection engine I've ever seen.
After it "detects" you can tweak almost everything.

You should check out demo on their website.

http://www.celemony.com/

BTW,
Their demo video ... s**k. The product do much better than that .
Old 04-04-2005, 10:11 AM

There are several options.
Waves has one called SoundShifter, Melodyne does a great job if you figure out a way to correct the analysis of the audio, and the ones you mentioned.
I still use Digital Performer for vocal pitch shifting, it's amazing to see time go by and nothing show up as a real competition. It's a painful process to get out of the PT open DP and then back to PT, but it's still the best result.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:21 PM

Hi,

I also have pitch n time & speed as well as melodyne and all are good for different reasons!! melodyne is great for correcting vocal takes and creating harmonies etc if you have the time and patience to manually split the notes!! as melodyne doesn't always detect the notes correctly.

But for great quality pitch shift and time stretching i still use logic's time and pitch and since L6 there is a setting for "any material" takes a while to process but i find this is the best quality i can get!! sorry it's not an audiosuite!!! but if you're gonna be doing a lot of time stretching and you want the quality?. Logic is also good for detecting audio to midi!!! and these 2 functions are worth the selling price for me!!?

Regards

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:13 AM

yeah I know, I use Logic's Time and Pitch Machine too whenever I need to tune a vocal and it kills Speed and Pitch'n Time, it's just such a pain to quit PT, launch Logic, export/import files, process, export/import again, quit Logic etc. That's why I was hoping there might be an audiosuite alternative I hadn't heard of.

Thanks for all the input guys!

BBB