Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2016, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Got the dock today. Unboxing vid

so you want a free adapter with a unit you paid how much for ??? 1200.00 .. this is like Apollo not putting in a Thunderbolt Cable .. Lame .. include the cable you morons .. they just have no clue to customer service ..

whatever ..

now - Flip Fader Still does not exist right ?? not even if you have the Dock .. been asking until blue in the face .. not getting my money for another surface that will be obsolete in 2 years .. just my .02 and i am keeping it

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 05-28-2016, 03:36 PM

To be honest the dock is not bad. I mean the feature set and the flexibility of the eucon protocol.
If you already have an iPad the price is not that bad.
but still for a Multimillion dollar company as avid the dock should have included a Usb L cable, the dock top should have being metal and not cheap plastic.
Its all about presentation and great fabrication.
Then again, avid made the dock for the cheap skates who can't afford an S6 so I guess its all in the planning.

I've used a few Mackie control units in the past when I was a logic pro user, they gave me the most head ache frustration and creativity killing.

Tascam daw controllers dm4800 pain. I have a ssl nucleus which I though would have being good, it also turn out to be a pain with its mackie protocol.

Started to used cubase as my main creating tool so got the Steinberg cc121 controller, its similar to the dock, the cc121 is very good never gave me any error or problems it works 100%, only thing it can only be use with Steinberg DAWS.

From using the CC121 with its one fader I found out that mixing with just one fader works great for me, less over whelming and quick to master the buttons.

My only worries is will the eucon work spot on with my cubase and PT.

Last edited by tattootroy; 05-28-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:59 PM

One gripe with the S3 is the speed of the rotary encoders. They would feel more natural if, for example, the response on an EQ's gain would increase when you turn the knob faster, but it always seems to move at the same rather slow rate, making it difficult to use them to mix on the fly. Are those on the Dock any better?

See this thread:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=365004
System/Hardware Info
IMDb credits
Old 05-28-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhatley View Post
One gripe with the S3 is the speed of the rotary encoders. They would feel more natural if, for example, the response on an EQ's gain would increase when you turn the knob faster, but it always seems to move at the same rather slow rate, making it difficult to use them to mix on the fly. Are those on the Dock any better?

See this thread:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=365004

I hope you're paying attention avid!

This is yet another person griping ABOUT THE LACK OF LINEAR KNOB BEHAVIOR.

How about finally implementing this in the next update??
Old 05-29-2016, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post
I hope you're paying attention avid!

This is yet another person griping ABOUT THE LACK OF LINEAR KNOB BEHAVIOR.

How about finally implementing this in the next update??
I'm not sure if you were paying attention because it seems you and Gwhatley are asking for exactly opposite things! You want linear behaviour (which I would also like) but it sounds like Gwhatley wants MORE acceleration i.e. the opposite of linear.

This highlights the difficulty in designing the perfect DAW controller. Everybody wants different things.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-S-Q View Post
I'm not sure if you were paying attention because it seems you and Gwhatley are asking for exactly opposite things! You want linear behaviour (which I would also like) but it sounds like Gwhatley wants MORE acceleration i.e. the opposite of linear.

This highlights the difficulty in designing the perfect DAW controller. Everybody wants different things.
If you had any experience with these units' knob behavior compared to any other controller on the market, you would know that turning the knob faster is completely counter-intuitive.

With a 1:1 linear knob that means the parameter moves at exactly the speed you turn it, you don't have to guess at the acceleration curve.

So, MORE acceleration would make these things even more twitchy and far worse.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post
If you had any experience with these units' knob behavior compared to any other controller on the market, you would know that turning the knob faster is completely counter-intuitive.

With a 1:1 linear knob that means the parameter moves at exactly the speed you turn it, you don't have to guess at the acceleration curve.

So, MORE acceleration would make these things even more twitchy and far worse.
Eeerrr... In case you missed it in my last post, I AGREE WITH YOU! I would also like to see an option to have linear control on the S3/Dock/Artist series knobs.

The point I was making is that GWhatley was asking for the EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU WANT, yet you AGREED with his post! :)

Yes I do have experience with these units. I own an S3 and I previously owned some Artist series controllers.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-S-Q View Post
Eeerrr... In case you missed it in my last post, I AGREE WITH YOU! I would also like to see an option to have linear control on the S3/Dock/Artist series knobs.

The point I was making is that GWhatley was asking for the EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU WANT, yet you AGREED with his post! :)

Yes I do have experience with these units. I own an S3 and I previously owned some Artist series controllers.
Heh, see, this is a case of the person in question not actually understanding what they want. And therein lies the confusion.

He asked for MORE acceleration and I'm saying that would make the situation worse.

1:1 is the only way. Turn any knob in NI Maschine with any plugin loaded, and it behaves exactly like you would expect.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:17 PM

Hey fellas! So, I actually didn't mention acceleration, just saying that the rotary encoders don't affect the speed of an EQ's gain adequately the faster I turn the knob. It's not intuitive. Linear would be great and of course totally natural. On my S3 I have to crank and crank the encoder but only get slow movement in a fabfilter proQ2.

But my REAL question for the OP - or anyone else that has tested it - is: how are the encoders on the Dock - any different?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
System/Hardware Info
IMDb credits
Old 05-29-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhatley View Post
Hey fellas! So, I actually didn't mention acceleration, just saying that the rotary encoders don't affect the speed of an EQ's gain adequately the faster I turn the knob. It's not intuitive. Linear would be great and of course totally natural. On my S3 I have to crank and crank the encoder but only get slow movement in a fabfilter proQ2.

But my REAL question for the OP - or anyone else that has tested it - is: how are the encoders on the Dock - any different?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly, what you're describing is acceleration. They designed it this way so that when you turn knobs very slowly, you get more precise control to make fine adjustments.

This is from the days of Euphonix when they optimized these things to work with Logic plugins, and those deal with precision in the tenths (0.1). It's good for that.

However, with 3rd party plugins, the precision is much greater in the hundredths.. 0.01. And what ends up happening is you turn the knob slowly and it barely registers, so you have to keep turning it a little bit faster to get it moving at all, you end up overshooting the value you want and have to go back, etc. It's terrible.

The whole algorithm needs to be scrapped and made linear. As I said before, the plugin control as 1:1 in Maschine and other products is pretty much spot on. Their intentions were in the right place with this but it just doesn't work.