Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2008, 02:33 PM

Angry Waves upgrade?

As someone who has supported waves and it's policies I was very disappointed when I went to upgrade to the new diamond bundle 6.05 and found that the z noise which is now included is not unless you pay for the upgrade. I thought that's what paying for wup all these years was protecting me from.. I own almost all of their plugins. I must say if it's your rule you shouldn't be the one to break it.. Very Very Disappointed..
Old 10-29-2008, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Waves upgrade?

You sound pretty upset... So upset that I can't really understand what you are saying.

You want to upgrade without paying for the upgrade? Do they owe you an upgrade for some reason?

Z-noise is now included in what? ... The new Diamond Bundle...? So, you have an old Diamond Bundle and you want the new Diamond Bundle? Z-noise in now included but it is not included... Huh? I'm confused...!

What point are you trying to make by telling us you own almost all of their plugs? Shouldn't you buy them all if you want them all...?

If WHAT is your rule you shouldn't be the one to break it... What is "it"...?

Sounds to me like you want Z-noise but you don't think you should have to pay for it...? Is that what you're saying?

Let me know how you manage to talk them into doing that...
Old 10-29-2008, 03:00 PM

i upgraded to diamond some time ago.. at that time the version was 6.0. the latest version is 6.05 which has z noise as part of it. when i upgraded to the new version the z noise plugin was not authorized. so i went to waves support and was told i must pay extra for the additional plugin because the new diamond bundle cost more because of the addition. i was under the impression that if you were current with wup that all version upgrades were covered. hope that clears it up.. gary
Old 10-29-2008, 03:16 PM

I agree. As I just re-upped my WUP plans recently, I also was quite dismayed to find that Z-Noise was only with NEW Diamond purchases. In the past, it seems that any new plugin added to a bundle, was included to anyone who was current on their WUP plan. Not so with Z-Noise.

I also thought this was kinda sneaky and crappy. I had partly just re-upped my WUP because I thought I was getting Z-Noise. It is posted fairly clearly on their site I suppose. But if you just go click on Diamond, and look at all the plugin icons down below, Z-Noise is there, as is MaxVolume, etc, and without carefully reading everything on the page, one could get the impression that Z-Noise would be included retroactively.

I ended up just upgrading all the way to Mercury, once and for all. I love Waves plugins, but have always hated their business model, WUP and their old iLok support. Things are improving, the new iLok support is good (although you'll need an entire iLok just for Mercury, as Waves is now using a 'bundle' license, which takes up TONS of space on an iLok.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:44 PM

"and without carefully reading everything on the page, one could get the impression that Z-Noise would be included retroactively."

So, with a little careful reading, one would get the news...? Is that what you're saying? C'mon...!

It's a drag that Waves isn't giving their stuff away... but you can't blame them if they have spelled it out and some just didn't read it. They've been doing this for a while.

I get a little tired of folks who use their stuff every day and then, complain about the cost of doing business. Maybe it's just me.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer View Post
As someone who has supported waves and it's policies I was very disappointed when I went to upgrade to the new diamond bundle 6.05 and found that the z noise which is now included is not unless you pay for the upgrade. I thought that's what paying for wup all these years was protecting me from.. I own almost all of their plugins. I must say if it's your rule you shouldn't be the one to break it.. Very Very Disappointed..
Hi,

I would send an e-mail to Waves sales and quote their wup details from their website...

http://www.waves.com/newsletters/Apr...n_changes.html

">We are pleased to announce changes to Waves Update Plan.

Waves has put a cap on Update Plan fees. You can re-activate your Waves Update Plan now for $200 or less per bundle, no matter how long your coverage has been inactive.

If your Waves Update Plan is already up-to-date, Waves will extend your benefits accordingly.

Waves Special – you’ll receive a 45-day Waves Update Plan Credit toward the purchase of any product or upgrade, equal to the amount you spend on Update Plan coverage.
With Waves Update Plan, you’ll receive all supported host and platform compatibility updates, expert tech support, and new plug-ins added to bundles.

Contact your Waves dealer to find out how you can re-activate your Waves Update Plan today.<"

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiostuff View Post
"and without carefully reading everything on the page, one could get the impression that Z-Noise would be included retroactively."

So, with a little careful reading, one would get the news...? Is that what you're saying? C'mon...!

It's a drag that Waves isn't giving their stuff away... but you can't blame them if they have spelled it out and some just didn't read it. They've been doing this for a while.

I get a little tired of folks who use their stuff every day and then, complain about the cost of doing business. Maybe it's just me.
Sorry to offend you!
Old 10-29-2008, 04:44 PM

no indeed this new policy of theirs is crappy. I looked into upgrading from platinum to diamond thinking now that z noise is included in diamond that the upgrade to the next bundle would include it. WRONG! WUP is one thing, if you want the upDATES you pay and thats fine, but now a bundle isnt even a whole bundle anymore. Its bizarre. Ive bitched and no one really cares. My 1000 bucks will be going to ANY OTHER plugin manufacturer when I buy another anything. This is complete B*LL[bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep].
Old 10-29-2008, 05:50 PM

Smile Re: Waves upgrade?

Well look, I'm the first to admit that it IS listed there on their page, that's what I said. What my complaint is, is the apparent shift from the way Waves worked in the past, which was if a plugin was added to a bundle, anyone who owns that bundle is entitled to the plugin. It worked this way when they added Waves Tune Light, when they added Waves IR-1, when they added MaxVolume, when they added Q-Clone.

These were all added to the Diamond bundle at various times, and we were all entitled to them (assuming you owned the Diamond Bundle). This is what upsets me (and not even that much).

So the POINT is, that now there appears to be TWO Diamond Bundles. The one that didn't come with Z-Noise, and the one WITH Z-Noise. And it appears to me that this is the first time Waves has included a plugin into a bundle in this way.

And it's precisely BECAUSE we use their stuff everyday, because I've given them basically over $7000 of my money for these plugins, that I'm entitled to bitch and moan now and again.

The fact is, Waves has some plugins that I love, and some business models that I don't. And believe me, you're most certainly in the minority if you like the Waves conducts their business....

Waves IS changing, and it's precisely because enough people have bitched and moaned that they're finally setting some things right, like the new iLok policy in V6 (about time!) and also the cap on the WUP costs. I still think WUP is a complete scam, let's see, pay us money in CASE we update our plugins... At least they've dropped the costs involved significantly.

Sorry, but badmouthing Waves business practices is different than the plugins.

If you don't want to bitch here with the rest of us, go away!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:03 PM

Thumbs down Re: Waves upgrade?

Just upgraded my Mercury from 6.0.1 to 6.0.2, and lost GTR 3. If that is the case, then this really sucks! I love waves plug ins, but not how they treat me as a customer, especially in time for upgrade.

Back in the days, that was one of the reasons i upgraded to mercury, now, after they got my money, they took it away. Really disappointing. I sent a technical support question about this, I'll wait to see what they're going to say.