Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 05-14-2013, 07:18 PM

Default Re: I/O Settings have changed-No sound?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
Hey Jason, as an aside I've been wondering about this. Is there just a different way to trash prefs in 10.3.5 or is it now not necessary/possible?
Do you know about the free trasher program guitardom made? There is a special one for 10.3.5 because of the different folder locations. Here it is: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...hlight=trasher

------------------------------------------------------
¨WHERE´S MY CHECKBOOK?¨
https://soundcloud.com/louieshowers

Last edited by louieshowers; 05-15-2013 at 06:45 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louieshowers View Post
Actually, calling someone an idiot is never necessary.
Sometimes you just have to call people what they are. Politically correct speak ain't always going to get the point across. And like I pointed out the op has issues that he brings on himself and polite language doesn't seem to get across to him.

QAPLA!
Old 05-15-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
Before ranting about Pro Tools one should read the manual and learn how to use it otherwise one comes across as an idiot. Pro Tools works fine...yes there are bugs but in your case it's just a matter of knowing what you're doing.

Make sure you're interface is on & connected properly and bare in mind, if the proper drivers for your interface are not installed problems will arise. As mentioned go to Pro Tools>Setup>Playback Engine and make sure your interface is selected.

Then got to Pro Tools>Setup>I/O Setup>Input Tab & click Default then do same on Output Tab. You can now customize your I/O setup, renaming I/O's & Busses appropriately so they make sense if you wish.

UNCHECK 'Sessions overwrite I/O'

Once you've checked that everything is working properly go back into I/O Setup and Export this setup; name and save it to a logical location, if you ever have problems again open Pro Tools>Setup>I/O Setup and import this setup and you're good to go.

The Manual (Reference Guide) is installed with PT installation so it should be available in the Help menu within PT, or just google it if you can't find it.
I have done what you and many others have suggested nd still have the same problem. What next? I got pissed because PT is so problematic so often. I have recorded on just about every format there is since reel to reel and never had the level of problems and down time as I've had with PT. There may be an idiot but I don't think it's me.

I have consulted my PT triainer who studied PT at L.A. Institute of Recording & have a session with him on Sunday. It would still b great to figure out what the problem is so I can spend my time learning something new.

I will retry all the steps you all have given me. Meanwhile thanks for all your help.

Lars
Old 05-17-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_daw View Post
Lars,

In your 'I/O setup' do you have 'Sessions overite current I/O setup when opened' checked? (it's at the bottom left)

There is a link at the top of the Forum page here that contains the 'Reference Manual' and it can also be found from the Help menu in PT. Ironically, one of the first things the manual deals with is finding and using this help menu. As has been mentioned to you in the past; Pro Tools is not plug and play. If you want your headaches to stop, take some of your valuable time to read the 'reference manual'. You may be pleasantly surprised how well written and informative it can be. For myself, it has been a great help in some of the confusing issues I've had.

Good luck. Have fun splicing tape :P if you decide to leave Pro Tools

Are you recommending reading the 1000+ page Manual?
Old 05-17-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Actually the sentence WAS and IS necessary. The op has a history of ranting and raving over things that he wouldn't have a problem with if he followed proper procedures and read the documentation.
I've read and re-read all the Post's. I have tried all the suggestions including yours. I have referred to the help box which has yet to be of help when I look for an answer to something. I have gone thru the Manual I/O Section & find nothing of any help.

My System is only a few months old. should my firewire Cables go bad that quickly? I'll get new one's.

Youtube's seem to cover alot of the older series of PT & not much help.

Other than that the problem still persist's. Days going into a week! You all must be alot cooler than me. I find it annoying that I can't Record, Mix etc. mine & other Project's.

Lars
Old 05-17-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsongs View Post
Are you recommending reading the 1000+ page Manual?
That's exactly what we've all been saying - RTFM!
Quote:
I've read and re-read all the Post's. I have tried all the suggestions including yours. I have referred to the help box which has yet to be of help when I look for an answer to something. I have gone thru the Manual I/O Section & find nothing of any help.

My System is only a few months old. should my firewire Cables go bad that quickly? I'll get new one's.

Youtube's seem to cover alot of the older series of PT & not much help.

Other than that the problem still persist's. Days going into a week! You all must be alot cooler than me. I find it annoying that I can't Record, Mix etc. mine & other Project's.

Lars
It's not that we're cooler than you it's just that most people here will take the time and read the pertinent documentation for whatever we're using. Take a piece of paper and draw out what your setup is, what you want to do, and then read the manuals. You WILL find your answer there and also on YouTube.

As has been said PT is NOT plug and play software and takes some care in getting it going. It's not Garageband or Guitar Hero but serious recording software that takes serious learning and a cool, patient head.

QAPLA!
Old 05-17-2013, 05:39 PM

I went back to Google, no help. Then YouTube & watched a guy who couldn't find his ass with two hands. Went to PT Manual still nada.

I'm thinking it's gotta be something but what? Went back to the Interface Manual still nothing.

I happened to look over art the Interface & notice the Firewire buttons for Output Channels were switched off. Turned them back on & I've got sound. Not sure how they got switched off but I'm back in business.

Thanks for all your help even the guy who called me an idiot! Well maybe not him, just kidding.

Lars
Old 05-17-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I went back to Google, no help. Then YouTube & watched a guy who couldn't find his ass with two hands. Went to PT Manual still nada.

I'm thinking it's gotta be something but what? Went back to the Interface Manual still nothing.

I happened to look over art the Interface & notice the Firewire buttons for Output Channels were switched off. Turned them back on & I've got sound. Not sure how they got switched off but I'm back in business.

Thanks for all your help even the guy who called me an idiot! Well maybe not him, just kidding.

Lars
See - we told you all you had to do was to sit down and think about what you have and what you're trying to do. Look at things calmly and you'll find your answer. It's like Sean Connery as Indy's father said in The Last Crusade: "if I sit down and think about it the solution usually presents itself".

QAPLA!
Old 05-17-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
It's like Sean Connery as Indy's father said in The Last Crusade: "if I sit down and think about it the solution usually presents itself".
I usually just fall asleep.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 08-27-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatMakeUfologistic View Post
Nice to found you.. i saw your comments and in my opinion you are professional and can help me about 003 rack: 003 Rack bought from eBay black lion mode, Imac 🖥 2013 27 inch i7 10.11.6, 003 Driver 11.1.5, Pro tools 12.6.1. 003 work and host in PT recognized all must be ok but; no recording and no sound from 1-2 main output monitors. (Sounds only From Outputs 12345678 inputs 12345678 no reconstruction in PT the
IO missing paths and no matches between pt and 003 in IO My conclusion. Please inform what wrong from my side? My email; [email protected]
This what I found for my situation.... Hope it helps.. Good luck..