Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-03-2015, 09:06 PM

Default First time recording drums in protools?

HI,

I'll be doing my first drum tracking session ever. I have a good understanding of the console-to-PT and headphone mix routing in the room. I'll preface my question quickly, and state the question at the bottom in bold text.

I want these recordings to come out great, obviously. I'm still somewhat of a beginner, and I'm questioning what I know about phase relationships.

In practice, I've never multi-miked a SINGLE drum (IE snare top/bottom, or kick in/kick out, etc). It seems simple enough to get phase relationships right here, you just make sure each mic is an equal distance from each head, and play with the polarity invert to check how it sounds.

My question is this: How should I be thinking about my overhead mics and room mics? I plan on using two OH, and two room mics in front of the kit. I know about the 3:1 rule, but I understand some people aren't keen on it. How do you do it? ALSO, How can I make sure that these sound good when the client is in the room (I'm talking about phase relationships and levels here mostly, not EQ/compression/etc)? Do you process or phase align these tracks on the way to tape/DAW?

Thank you for reading!