Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 05:28 PM

Default Re: In Response to Pro Tools HD 10 Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison437 View Post
Max,

The problem is this:

There are owners of PT9 HD licenses that no longer have their HD hardware... they have sold the physical gear, but retained the license. Or, there are others considering selling their aging TDM hardware but keeping the HD license to retain host-based PT+CPTK capability.

Not to be a downer or anything, but their policy has always been that if you sell the hardware, the license becomes the property of the new owner of the hardware. It has been like this for as long as I can remember.
Here's a link to the info about selling HD hardware:

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=363631

So, unfortunately if you sell your hardware and keep the license to use natively, you're out of luck when it comes to upgrades. I think at that point you have to buy PT with the CPTK.
I don't work for Avid, and I'm not speaking officially, but....

-Ryan
Old 10-30-2011, 05:33 PM

I agree with the above posts... These things have been asked in a number of different ways, some not so nice admittedly..

The answers have been few and far between, confusing, disingenuous (to be polite), and combined with a 'heavy-handedness' fostering little to no goodwill towards avid.

Still, and to hopefully allay the risk of my being chucked out of here, I hope for an equitable solution so that folks can just continue on.. As has been stated before, There is little doubt as to the usefulness of some of the features in 10, the direction that Avid wants to go with hardware and such, etc... but with the way they are getting there.. and what's happening to a large chunk of (heretofore) loyal users.

One day perhaps this will all make sense.. but it seems to me that the one thing we have in common right now, is a black eye.

Peace!
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 10-30-2011, 11:36 PM

Hey Ryan,

Thanks for the link... it just means more ambiguity!

In fact, it seems that the form to submit for transfer of ownership (perhaps) predates the PT9 way of doing things. I.e. according to the form, even for an old MBox (not even MBox 2!) I would need to yield the software to the person I'm selling it to. Sometimes the form talks about software, and other places it mentions a license, but again, this might be pre-PT9 Digi "license."

When PT9 was released, my limited understanding is that we "converted" the serial number and the "dongle" (MBoxes, etc) to an iLok. When I upgraded one of my MBoxes, that serial number has been "used-up" in terms of turning it into an iLok asset as regards software. If Avid really meant that I couldn't sell my Mbox without the ProTools iLok, then there would be no motivation ever to buy any Avid hardware (as regards less mission-critical setups)...

It would be ludicrous if I couldn't sell my MBox hardware "as-is"... to a third-party... and retain my PT9 (non-HD) license.

The HD license might be more tricky, but I actually thought that when we gave our core card serial numbers for the HD9 upgrade, the iLok as regards software became the gatekeeper for the ability to use that software. There are those that would buy spare core cards, accel cards, etc. at facilities or larger-shops. They do not need to buy my HD license.

I believe, but could be mistaken, that the form needs updating, because after PT9, the whole license/authorization scheme had drastically changed. At least, I hope the form needs updating.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:51 AM

Cool Re: In Response to Pro Tools HD 10 Feedback

OK,enough talk,,,Hey Max where is this,, you spoke of it last week?
I have been all over this messed up web site of yours,,( a whole nuther topic) can't find it,,Far as I know it is now " next week"
With respect,, Mario www.mariomassi.com every tune here( 200 +) was done with Pro Tools
( my real name)

Pro Tools 10 14 Day Trial -

The best way to understand the value of Pro Tools HD 10 is to use it. Currently, that’s hard to do, unless you buy it, so we’re introducing a 14-day trial for Pro Tools and Pro Tools HD 10 starting next week on the Avid website. With the 14-day trial everyone will be able to experience the speed, power and capability of Pro Tools 10 first hand, and with no risk
Old 10-31-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakat View Post
OK,enough talk,,,Hey Max where is this,, you spoke of it last week?
I have been all over this messed up web site of yours,,( a whole nuther topic) can't find it,,Far as I know it is now " next week
C'mon, it's like, 6am in California. You could cut them a little slack.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Well, they cost more. So I'd say that'll make them more expensive.
Even if they would cost the same, they would be more expensive.
How do you figure that they cost more? An HD1 system with an Omni I/O retails for $10,990 and an HDX1 with an Omni retails for $9999. The same price difference remains if move up to different interfaces. And it seems that, in terms of power, a single-card HDX system sits somewhere between an HD2 and HD3 system, which makes the price difference even greater.

As for the "even if they would cost the same" part...that doesn't even make sense. You make the case of not being able to buy a TV today for the same price you'd have paid for a TV twelve years ago...you actually can. Twelve years ago I bought a TV for $699. Today I can go out and buy a TV for $699. It will be bigger (at least the screen will be) and it will bet "better", but the price will be the same. We're talking about more powerful systems here as well.

Quote:
And if you really think that the HDx is going to "sound better" - then I seriously, rest my case !
Well, the new interfaces certainly do sound better than the older ones did. As for the new floating-point mixer, they say it will sound better...I guess that remains to be seen. I'm sure it will sound better for many people, at least those who clip their current HD systems.

Quote:
I would say that the current mac pros are much more then 5 TIMES MORE powerful then the G4s that we used at the arrival of the accel cards. Yet the prices have stayed fairly consistent.
The market for computers is a little broader than the market for HD/HDX systems. And in any case, the prices for Apple computers haven't stayed so consistent...G4 computers started around $1299. G5 machines started around $1499, and now Mac Pros start around $2499. Whereas the price for the new HDX systems has come down a bit.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:41 AM

"C'mon, it's like, 6am in California. You could cut them a little slack"

Just because their house is on fire and burning ,no reason to be in any hurry to convince us to buy..I guess they dont need any more sales?
I am a pro tools lover, never a bad word out of my mouth, I cant speak for anyone else and I wont , I just need to make some a move, and get back to work,, Like a lot of other folks,I had a lot of problems on 8,more problems on 9( where I am at now,)
I just tried a demo of Prosonus Studio one-2,, last night,They had better have a look see at it, I was very impressed,,I do NOT want to start all over again,,, but when my income is on the line,, I will do whats best for me,, not AVID,,
Like getting up at 5 am and going to work,,
Of course,, I will cut them some slack,, just like I did on every version, up to now,,Are they going to cut us some?
That's the real question,,
M

Last edited by sofakat; 10-31-2011 at 06:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-31-2011, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
How do you figure that they cost more? An HD1 system with an Omni I/O retails for $10,990 and an HDX1 with an Omni retails for $9999. The same price difference remains if move up to different interfaces. And it seems that, in terms of power, a single-card HDX system sits somewhere between an HD2 and HD3 system, which makes the price difference even greater.
A processor costing $500 12 years ago. Will cost $100 today but it will likely be 10 or 100 times as powerful.

Quote:
Well, the new interfaces certainly do sound better than the older ones did. As for the new floating-point mixer, they say it will sound better...I guess that remains to be seen. I'm sure it will sound better for many people, at least those who clip their current HD systems.
The interfaces YES.. But not the 350MHz processors on the cards.
I NEVER claimed that the new interfaces aren't good. They are. But they have been around 4 a while !

Quote:
The market for computers is a little broader than the market for HD/HDX systems. And in any case, the prices for Apple computers haven't stayed so consistent...G4 computers started around $1299. G5 machines started around $1499, and now Mac Pros start around $2499. Whereas the price for the new HDX systems has come down a bit.
I have been on Mac since 1996. My G3, G4, G5 did NOT retail for $12 or 1499.

Anyway, above is my opinion. Time will tell whether I am right or wrong !
Old 10-31-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
C'mon, it's like, 6am in California. You could cut them a little slack.
Ha! I was thinking the same thing:)

Also, he said "Next Week" so technically they have until sat or sun night (depending on when you view the week starting) to launch it. Hopefully they launch it sooner cause i'm fiending for it also!!!
Old 10-31-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
A processor costing $500 12 years ago. Will cost $100 today but it will likely be 10 or 100 times as powerful.
I don't disagree there (although the '10 to 100' this is pretty broad). We're not talking about processors, though...we're talking about a system, of which the processors are only a small part.

Quote:
The interfaces YES.. But not the 350MHz processors on the cards.
I don't think that Avid ever claimed anywhere that the processors themselves sounded better, or had any sound to them at all...just that the system sounds better.

Quote:
I have been on Mac since 1996. My G3, G4, G5 did NOT retail for $12 or 1499.
I've been doing this for about the same amount of time, but I was talking specifically about the price of the entry-level machines, which have gotten more expensive.
Closed Thread