Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2004, 07:22 AM

Default A few questions \'bout the C8

Okay, I just ordered my C8 last night after I finally sold my Motormix. Here's a few questions to anyone who knows...(and I'll most likely call Digi product info today):

1) Everyone's saying that the C8 is better-integrated with PT than any other non-Digi control surfaces...well how does that actually present itself in function? Better fader resolution and quicker response? What?

2) Please tell me that the C8 isn't just running on some modified HUI protocol...and since I'm assuming it's not, then how is it better than the HUI identity? (this kinda ties into the first question)

3) How is the fader quality? Same as 002/Control24? A little choppy/grainy?

Thanks.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:16 AM

Default Re: A few questions \'bout the C8

Hi!
Got mine today, so still fresh...

I have used an 002 befre, it is the same, feel-wise, control-wise, "profile" wise, etc.

I think that all control surfaces that can be used with PT are a variance on a "default" profile.
Therefore (if I am correct ), the HUI protocol is a "variation on that," as are the 002 and Command8. I amnot sure if the Command8 is a "distinct" profile *internally,* that would probably only be answerable by a Digi tech.

As far as better integrated, this is subjective opinion. My opinion? As a previous HUI owner/user, I prefer it.
I just relates PT more *logically* (to me). I can see my workflow efficiency improving (over use with HUI+mouse+keyboard), and am seriously considering adding an X-Keys unit (with the Macros abilities it has) to nicely round things out. Hoping it will give me the "poor woman's (or man's ) ProControl basic" work enviornment control wise. hehehe...

I wrote a quickie, first day experience in the "review" thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:23 PM

Okay, so after reading through the manual...one of the coolest things about the C8 is the stand-alone mode. I don't have it in front of me yet, but I'm guessing that in this mode, Reason can "learn" the MIDI messages coming from the C8 to control whatever parameter you want.

This is perfect for automating filters, fader rides, and all other sorts of cool stuff in Reason...and the best part is that you can just flip back and forth between controlling PT and controlling Reason - which is something I'm not sure other controllers can do.

Nice.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:28 AM

"...but I'm guessing that in this mode, Reason can "learn" the MIDI messages coming from the C8 to control whatever parameter you want."

Yes - Reason (including the Adapted/Digi version) provides a "Learn" function for MIDI control of its onscreen faders, pots, switches, sliders, etc.. .

Reason has a Learn function for its MIDI assignments that makes it very easy. You just set Reason to Edit MIDI Mapping, then click on a Reason fader/slider/rotary/switch/whatever to select it for mapping. This opens up a Reason dialog with a "Learn" button - enable "Learn" then grab the desired C8 fader/knob/switch and Reason learns the C8 control value instantly. No C8 programming to do, really (other than naming and saving the preset/MIDI map). For any devices that provide a similar Learn feature, it couldn't be much easier.

With other sw (non-learning apps such as Live Digi Editiion), and with my hardware MIDI devices, you've got the additional task of programming various C8 sliders/knobs/switches to match that required by your hardware device. Like all multi-function switch/LCD/menu-based devices, there's a little bit of scrolling and switching to navigate around the various MIDI edit pages of C8 stand-alone mode to select/name/edit various controls, but for someone like me who is NOT very keen on such work, C8 was very easy to set up.

Michael
Old 05-09-2004, 05:39 PM

One thing I'm curious about (although not the most critical item, to be sure); how many characters does the command|8 display for each track name?

I believe the HUI protocol allows for 4, which produces some pretty cryptic contractions of whatever you've used for the name in your session.

Ray
Old 05-09-2004, 06:12 PM

Quote:
One thing I'm curious about (although not the most critical item, to be sure); how many characters does the command|8 display for each track name?

It's hard to tell, because it's one long scribble strip - but I *think* it might be 6 characters per fader, but I could very well be wrong.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:45 PM

Hey Ray, It is 6 characters per strip. The display is definitely better than on a 002. It is one big display, not divided up into sections like the 002. Time code is displayed in the upper right corner and not divided like it is on a 002.Display is much more user friendly.