Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2018, 03:31 PM

Default Re: 2018.12 No new features?

Whothe heck wants new features when the old ones,compatibility etc. still need fix????
Old 12-14-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yop22 View Post
That's the beauty of Avid policy, you pay first for features then you pay again to have them working properly...
And sometimes things that used to work fine get broken. But fortunately you can also pay to have them fixed!
First you laugh, then realize it's 100% accurate, and so then you sigh.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Thanks. I have that but it doesn't discuss the real-world effects within ProTools.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro perez View Post
Whothe heck wants new features when the old ones,compatibility etc. still need fix????

Who? People that have been told repeatedly that this move to yearly upgrade fees would yield constant upgrades and new features. Bug fixes are NOT new features and should NOT be paid for.

If I forgot to unmute a track and sent a mix off, when the client informs me it’s wrong, should I ask them to pay for me to resubmit the correct mix? Of course not. I made the mistake.

That’s how I feel paying constantly for bug fixes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2018, 05:01 PM

I'd say that unless you're looking at the code, trying to see what can be done, how to do it, and without breaking existing functionality... it's hard to say that. Pro Tools is a very old program with a LOT of code that was doubtlessly written by many programmers who haven't been consistent throughout the software's development. Even if it was "re-written" for 64-bit, I have no doubt that some of it was just "translated'. Reconciling marketers' and executives' promises with what the programmers can accomplish (given that we don't know the size of the current team, their familiarity with the code, level of experience, etc) doesn't always work out.

But yes, I wish they could get it done. Faster. Better. Stronger. etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsian View Post
Hi guys,

I think Avid proved, that this whole ACA thing is complete nonsense.
There have been several features on the agenda for this year (track folders, more voices for HDN, better video engine integration...).
Nothing has happened. So why this useless show? Just to justify the support plan fees?

It's really bad behaviour.

Cheers
Maik
Old 12-15-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
I'd say that unless you're looking at the code, trying to see what can be done, how to do it, and without breaking existing functionality... it's hard to say that. Pro Tools is a very old program with a LOT of code that was doubtlessly written by many programmers who haven't been consistent throughout the software's development. Even if it was "re-written" for 64-bit, I have no doubt that some of it was just "translated'. Reconciling marketers' and executives' promises with what the programmers can accomplish (given that we don't know the size of the current team, their familiarity with the code, level of experience, etc) doesn't always work out.

But yes, I wish they could get it done. Faster. Better. Stronger. etc
Why do so many people have excuses for Avid?
I think when a company is making promises and can't keep them, it's simply not right. There can be problems and maybe some things can't be done easily, but that's a wild guess.

(no offense massivekerry)
Old 12-15-2018, 03:55 PM

As far as I remember, Avid promised constant development and compatibility releases (bug fixes) are kind of new features. I'm not defending Avid here, but in my book it is just like that. The #1 feature I'm looking for in the 2019.1 is Mojave support. Not guaranteed they can make it though, but High Sierra is now done so that's the next step.

I want stability of PT 8.1.1 back
Old 12-15-2018, 04:04 PM

How is a ”Bug Fix” a Feature ... ?!!

Never has anyone claimed a bug fix to be a feature .. just an opinion here.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-15-2018, 04:42 PM

I mean bug fixes that make it possible for Avid to support new OS
Old 12-15-2018, 05:06 PM

Default 2018.12 No new features?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I mean bug fixes that make it possible for Avid to support new OS

I think that’s a pretty big stretch.

Supporting a new OS is not a bug fix. It’s ongoing maintenance that every DAW or software manufacturer has to deal with it. Some less than others as their code base is much leaner, newer and more robust. Something AVID could have and should have done when updating parts of their code to 64bit with v11.

Honestly, until they fully re-write this application, it’s going to be a constant ***** show of bugs and broken features. Yes it’s a big undertaking, but if they actually did this years ago when the writing was clearly on the wall, it would be done by now. Chip away at it slowly in the background.

Hey - maybe they’re doing just that. The cynic in me says no. One can dream...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk