Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 01-08-2013, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Input Monitoring OFF is here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiliojazz View Post
Demodigi: please note that this topic is for users who want to TURN OFF COMPLETELY input monitoring and want to use an external mixing console for monitoring.
Low latency monitoring isn't a solution for those users, and Automute tries to accomplish this.
Low latency monitoring isn't the same as NO monitoring at all.

EDIT: low latency monitoring disables all sends assigned to record-armed tracks. So for example if I want to add some reverb to my voice "while" recording (and I can, 'cause reverb is not so prone to latency problems as the dry signal) I can't, cause low latency monitoring will disable all sends setup on the recording track.
So, using an external console for monitoring still have some advantages, but unfortunately all versions of Protools until now haven't take this into account...

Regards,
Emiliano
Pardon my lack of experience, but, based on my experimentation, the Low Latency Monitoring mentioned by demodigi and described on pages 455-456 of the version 10.3 Pro Tools Reference Guide appears to be the same as no input monitoring (of course subject to the restriction that it only applies to Outputs 1 and 2) in the sense that the input signal never enters the software for monitoring purposes and can be routed exclusively by the hardware mixer (console or audio interface hardware) without having to deal with any monitoring coming from within the software. Or am I missing something?

I am recently coming to PT 10 from many years with Cubase and REAPER, and this functionality appears to be identical to what those DAWs offer as an option to monitor the input signal completely outside of the software. [For example, Cubase offers software monitoring, ASIO Direct Monitoring, and no monitoring and PT 10's "Low Latency Monitoring" appears to be the same as Cubase's "no monitoring".]

Wasn't the previous problem that the input signal was being monitored through the software in addition to being monitored externally through the hardware and that there was no way to bypass the software monitoring short of using the mute button (which created problems for punching in and listening to recorded material)? The Low Latency Monitoring appears to have addressed this. Or am I mistaken?

Further, no monitoring would not allow for the addition of reverb in the DAW, right? So again, Low Latency Monitoring is no different from no monitoring (again subject to the restriction to Outputs 1 and 2).

Once more, I am relatively new to PT, so please educate me if I am way off base.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:39 PM

LLM still uses a path that includes the converters (Avid Hardware) and their inherent delay (latency). Using Monitor Off, and replacing it with console monitoring does not use converters in the signal path.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-09-2013, 08:54 AM

Pro Tools is half way there with this:

When Low Latency Monitoring is enabled, Pro Tools disables software monitoring for re- cord-enabled tracks routed to Outputs 1–2 only. This lets you use the built-in mixer function on your Core Audio or ASIO hardware for record monitoring with Outputs 1 and 2 on your Core Audio or ASIO audio interface.

But a real and complete NO MONITORING will be very useful, even for HDX users that prefer to use their analogue desks for monitoring using off bus signal.

Did you know that SSL Matrix and SSL Duality have the auto-mute option to get around this Pro Tools inability? :)
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 04-14-2014, 05:23 PM

How long does it take to get a response from the author of AutoMute? The nag screen is really doing it's job. I'm ready to register, donate or whatever it takes.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:13 AM

I have been using automute for a while now, I really need to disable the pop-up, I have emailed and left a message on the youtube page, is this app supported anymore? - I willl pay for it :)
Old 01-10-2015, 11:13 AM

A few years back, when I really needed no-latency monitoring directly from my analogue gear, I used to just deselect "Link rec and play faders" in PT prefs, and set the track's fader to -inf db when rec-enabled. That way the fader jumps up and down as you flip the rec button. Worked for me.

Just thought I'd share.

Edit: And to have reverb while recording you just set the reverb send to pre-fader.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
A few years back, when I really needed no-latency monitoring directly from my analogue gear, I used to just deselect "Link rec and play faders" in PT prefs, and set the track's fader to -inf db when rec-enabled. That way the fader jumps up and down as you flip the rec button. Worked for me.

Just thought I'd share.

Edit: And to have reverb while recording you just set the reverb send to pre-fader.
This is great, Ben, so simple. Thanks for that idea. It doesn't work for punching in though. Maybe there's some clever workaround for that too.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodandEvil View Post
This is great, Ben, so simple. Thanks for that idea. It doesn't work for punching in though. Maybe there's some clever workaround for that too.
That's nice. Someone finding my tip useful, even four years on in time. Thanks for letting me know.
Unfortunately, I don't really have a solution to the punch-in problem.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:35 AM

Auto Input?
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction