Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-12-2013, 01:48 AM

Default iMac 21.5 with 16gb,

I posted here a while back about maybe getting a 13" MacBook to run PT 10. The response here was very favorable.

In the meantime my engineer friend in Nashville told me he was selling his 15" quad core that has more power, and that he has been using it for months to record on location around town. He says the machine works fine and handles all the inputs he can comfortably use on location, which is sometimes as many as 16.

Question 1. I want to buy the new PT 10. As I understand it, I can put this on multiple machines, but can only use it on one machine at a time, thus, the iLok. Correct?

Question 2. Some have suggested that since I'm getting a getting PT 10 to go a step further and get the package with the Eleven Rack, which is on ebay for around $638. I welcome any comments and suggestions from users here on this combo. Seems like getting the combo is a natural choice and a better deal.

Next: Since I have the chance for a more powerful laptop, engineer tested, albums recorded on it, etc. there is no real need now for me to get the smaller laptop. So, now I'm looking at the new 21.5 inch iMac (thin design), tricked out to an i7, 16 gb ram, a 3.1 ghs processor that can be turbo boosted up to 3.9 ghz processer, etc. It seems like this would be one heck of a dream machine for PT 10, but before I did anything I wanted to get comments from users here about it.

Let me know if there are any pitfalls to watch for, anything to avoid, and in general, your opinions and experiences with this combination of the maxed out, top of the line, iMac 21.5, with PT 10. (And any additional comments about getting the Eleven Rack package. I have other interfaces, so this would be just another interface option.)

Thanks!

DS
Old 03-12-2013, 06:12 AM

Default Re: iMac 21.5 with 16gb,

Question 1-correct

Question 2-totally depends on 2 things; how many inputs you want/need, and are you a guitarist that wants to skip using an amp and mic. The package is nice, but you can buy PT10 software for $300-$400.

An iMac can make a great machine, BUT, make sure it has Thunderbolt. Because they are small and have no room for more internal drives(and Pro Tools is iffy on USB drives with Macs), thunderbolt is your ticket to extra drives. Then, do you want/need firewire? If so, you might shop for a slightly older model(refurbs are a great deal) so you can get both FW and TB.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-12-2013, 07:59 AM

Default Re: iMac 21.5 with 16gb,

You can also use the Apple Thunderbolt to firewire adapters for external drives. Thunderbolt drives are still pretty expensive right now.

Regarding the Eleven Rack, if you play guitar or record a lot of guitarists, it's a great solution. If you don't, or if you need an interface with more ins and outs, then maybe another solution would work.

The prices Albee was referring to for PT10 would be buying a used license from someone, which is fine also.