How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2014, 08:36 AM

Default Newbie help with MIDI setup

Hello all -

I am a new Pro Tools user, and I'm doing a demo CD with organ (or piano) and trumpet. I will record the trumpet parts into Pro Tools later, but I first need to get the organ/piano parts into the session.

I have a Korg X5 keyboard that has a good pipe organ sound I'd like to use. I have a midiman 2X2 (anniversary edition) connected via midi cables to the Korg, and connected to the computer via USB.

So, what I'd like to do is get a midi file into Pro Tools that will play the sound from the Korg, and then lay down the trumpet track. So far I've not been able to get the organ part right.

Here are my MIDI STUDIO SETUP settings:

Instrument is Korg X5
IN Midisport IN
OUT is Midisport OUT

MIDI BEAT CLOCK

Enable MIDI beat clock is checked
Korg X5 is checked
Mbox Pro Control is checked
Midisport 2X2 Anniv. OUT is checked

INPUT Devices

Korg X5, Mbox Pro Control, Mbox Pro External and Midisport 2X2 Anniversary IN A are all checked. Odd that A is checked, since I'm using the B IN and OUT ports on the Midiman.

No Peripherals are set up, and that might be a big reason. I simply don't understand what to do there.

I have scoured YouTube and Google and can't seem to find the explanation I need to set this up. I don't know if I need to get a mixer for this to happen, but I wouldn't think so. Most of the stuff on Youtube is for MAC version of Pro Tools.

Help! and...thanks!

Mike
Old 07-25-2014, 08:53 AM

Default Re: Newbie help with MIDI setup

If I understand your post correctly, it looks like you are using the Korg as a Midi Controller. Once you play the midi notes into Pro Tools, you will need a virtual instrument (like Expand2) as an insert on the instrument track within Pro Tools to hear anything. If you want to hear the sample of the pipe organ from the Korg, you will need to use the audio out(s) on the Korg and route them into the analog inputs on your interface, and record the performance as an audio track.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Newbie help with MIDI setup

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to use Finale and the Garritan sounds within it to record a track (wav) and then import that into Pro Tools.

Appreciate the help!