Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2003, 04:14 PM

Default Adjusting tempo with audio

Is it possible to adjust the tempo for an audio track in LE?

I have no probs doing this with Midi data in the transport window.
I am trying this with beat/bar oriented electronica divided into audio regions.
I have successfully mapped out a grid using one bar with the identifybeat command.
I've also tried inserting a tempo event at the beginning.
Still no joy, can anyone fill me in?
Old 10-08-2003, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Adjusting tempo with audio

If you want to change the tempo of a performance, you have to expand or compress the audio region. Check out the Pitch 'n' Time plug from Serato.

http://www.serato.com/products/pnt/
Old 10-09-2003, 04:10 AM

Depending on how big your original loop or region is the TIME EXPANSION/COMPRESSION plug in the audio suite menue works fine,,
if you go to the digi main home page and folow the links to digizine under the LE BOOTCAMP section you'll find a great tutorial by Joe Gore,,
basicly you set it up to be used exactly as you would the Identify Beat dialogue,,you tell it the original tempo of the region,,how long it is,,then the BPM you need it to become,,
I find the digi plug works fine for doubling the tempo,,and is better than okay for taking,say,a 100 bpm loop and making it 150 bpm,,after that it starts to sound a bit odd,,but even that can work well somtimes,,
It's not to bright at stretching vocals or any kind of melody based region,,but then most arn't,,in my opinion,,they all introduce strange anomalys and artifacts,,best thing i've heard for this is MELODINE,,or LIVE,,
Old 10-09-2003, 04:16 AM

audio in PT is time-stamped (not bars:beats), so changing the tempo is not going to affect the placement of audio regions.

as has been mentioned already, one (lossy) way is to use a time compression/expansion plug-in (like the DigiRack one) to change the tempo of your audio.