Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-10-2002, 07:54 AM

Default Anyone know how to automate EQ preset changes?

I'm using the Focusrite d2 EQ. How do I automate the EQ so I can switch between EQ presets without having to automate each individual q, gain, frequency band, lpf, hpf, etc.?
Old 04-10-2002, 08:13 AM

Default Re: Anyone know how to automate EQ preset changes?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ncaoili:
I'm using the Focusrite d2 EQ. How do I automate the EQ so I can switch between EQ presets without having to automate each individual q, gain, frequency band, lpf, hpf, etc.?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, that sure would be nice!
i've found myself wishing this was possible. i don't think you can. maybe on a future realease...
Old 04-10-2002, 01:58 PM

Yes. You can. You must, however select all the parameters invoved for automation, within the plug -in itself.

Then, just record the switch between presets, like you would any other automation.

Note: the NAME of the preset on the plug-in may not change, when you playback the automation. But the parameters WILL.
Old 04-10-2002, 07:36 PM

My own lo-tech workaround:

I use 2 instances of the eq plug on the same track, and just automate the bypass toggles.

BH.
Old 04-11-2002, 08:15 AM

It is impossible but it would be great and not so hard to implement. They just should make the preset bank names automatable(Xcuse my english!) an then you could see a list of presets names appearing along the playlist left side when you click on d2 preset names and a list popping out, then insert that at the cursor selection or clicking directly in the track on the place you want and the list appears then you select the preset you want at that point and then voila!

And for reverbs preset, why not include a morphing option between presets (this made possible by the plug-ins programmers but implemented by Digi for compatibility), you select the time range in the track giving you the time needed for morphing. Even this could be applied for any kind of presets.

For me this would complete plug-ins automation who could give a big improvement in a mix situation. Imagine not to have to open multiple tracks just for that reason. And the effect is less opened plug-ins for that matter, Hmm... this is maybe why Digi does not implement it after all. Keeping it like this, they sell more DSP cards! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2002, 08:17 AM

And for reverbs preset, why not include a morphing option between presets (this made possible by the plug-ins programmers but implemented by Digi for compatibility), you select the time range in the track giving you the time needed for morphing. Even this could be applied for any kind of presets.

I meant "Even this could be applied for any kind of plug-ins"
Old 04-11-2002, 09:51 AM

The free GRM band pass plug shows off this kind of functionality to great effect. Most PT plug's could do with renovation in this dept.
Old 04-11-2002, 09:56 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by liztening:
Yes. You can. You must, however select all the parameters invoved for automation, within the plug -in itself.

Then, just record the switch between presets, like you would any other automation.

Note: the NAME of the preset on the plug-in may not change, when you playback the automation. But the parameters WILL.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fast & effective
Works GREAT!
Old 04-11-2002, 04:00 PM

Yes but you have to play it back to cover completly the region(s) you want to automate.

If this region ia 10 minutes long, this is not so "F A S T"
Old 04-11-2002, 04:53 PM

Here's an easier way.
1)Save a version of your session so you don't screw yourself up.
2)Select all of the funcions in the plug in for automation.
3)Hit {apple + 4} to bring up the track automation window and turn on "auto suspend." Leave this window open.
4)Highlight the section that you will start off with (the part before your first automation change)
5)If you already have volume automation written, hit {-} to toggle to the volume window and hit {ctrl + c} to copy your volume automation.
6)hit {apple + option + /} This is the same as going to the Edit menu and selecting "write automation to all enabled parameters" keep in mind that this also overrites volume and panning automation
7)hit {ctrl + v} to re-insert your volume automation.
8)turn auto suspend back off and listen.
9)move on to the next section that you want to automate, turn auto suspend back off, adjust eq, copy volume, and repeat steps 6-8

It looks REALLY long all written out like that, but in actuality, it's not so bad. Jeez that was like explaining craps.