Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2012, 06:57 PM

Default Headphone Feedback Please Help!!!!!!

I'm having a feedback in my headphones when I'm recording my vocals, I have on one track the music that I'm listening back to and on the other track I'm recording my voice, but in my headphone I hear the music fine but my voice is having a feed back in the headphone mix
Old 07-18-2012, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Headphone Feedback Please Help!!!!!!

Lots more answers needed before we can really help. What model of headphones? Are they open backed? Maybe you need some closed back phones with more isolation? How loud are the phones? The louder they are(especially with open back phones), the more they will bleed into the mic(when it gets loud enough, it feeds back). What mic and preamp? How hot is the GAIN setting(or how loud or soft do you sing)? The more GAIN, the easier it is to get bleed and feedback. Did you forget to turn your speakers down(and you are simply HEARING the feedback in the phones because you are wearing them)?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-18-2012, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Headphone Feedback Please Help!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Lots more answers needed before we can really help. What model of headphones? Are they open backed? Maybe you need some closed back phones with more isolation? How loud are the phones? The louder they are(especially with open back phones), the more they will bleed into the mic(when it gets loud enough, it feeds back). What mic and preamp? How hot is the GAIN setting(or how loud or soft do you sing)? The more GAIN, the easier it is to get bleed and feedback. Did you forget to turn your speakers down(and you are simply HEARING the feedback in the phones because you are wearing them)?
All good questions and I'll add

When you say feedback you do indeed mean a high pitched squeal not an echo or delayed/latency type echo. Just asking to make perfectly clear because I've hear latency or a mix of hardware monitoring and delayed cue mix being mis-called "feedback".

Does the recording chain appear to work OK otherwise. A good simple test is just unplug the headphones, and sing and record a "blind" test. Is that signal recorded OK? This is an easy test to exclude feedback from other sources like room monitors. I've been stumped by stupid things like an unused but connected headphone lying on a table and causing problems.

Are you recording with both earpieces on the ears or is one flipped off the head or flipped backwards? (in which case turn the balance or lower the unused earpiece volume).

If this is happening with open back headphones you may just not win and need to go to closed back phones or in-ear monitors.

What audio interface is being used? This can be relevant if you have hardware/interface based cue mixes set up on them. Do you?

Darryl