Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 08-26-2004, 10:14 PM

Default Re: ADR tips and tricks

My experience, daily, with Pro-Tools using machine control continues to be a complete nightmare.
Pro-Tools losing it's preferences and not wanting to synch is an ongoing issue.
I still find the need to use beepfiles in a session a bit of a nightmare.
At least with a synchronizer, you type in the cue locate point, and away you go. End of story.

All it takes is for one person to change one of a zillion preferences in Pro-tools to turn an ADR session into a pain in the ass, and have you, as the engineer, looking like a fool.

Also, if you are going to do ISDN sessions with remote lock, you'll want a synchronizer. Unless you have a failproof, and I mean failproof, way of doing this without a synchronizer.

I mean to do all this for a simple Beep cue:

Quote:
Create a beep file, and spot the beep file so you get a three beep countdown (like the MicroLynx would do). Consolidate your created countdown into a single file. Place your cursor where the talent is supposed to come in with the line, then switch to the grabber, and control+Apple+click the countdown region and it will spot the tail of the countdown to where the talent is supposed to come in.
A bit over the top, don't you think?

www.markhensley.tv
Old 08-27-2004, 06:32 AM

Hi
Well, if the stage is using any kind of video tape, thus neccessitating Machine Control (instead of digital picture), then I can definitely see the need for a synchronizer. For instance, many of the largest ADR stages here in LA, although they RECORD directly to Pro Tools, still require a 3/4" video tape. With digital picture, you type in the in point, spot your beep file (that you always keep on your internal drive), and go. So, not sure why you'd need a synchronizer in that case...
Henchman is right, though, about multiple operators coming in and changing the &^%^*((% Preferences and making you look like an idiot.
On Vanilla Sky, we used Gallery's ADR Studio. Very cool, totally integrated system. If the show has been cued using ADR Studio, then the sessions are very streamlined and flexible. Auto-muting of the guide track, automatic beeps, easy cuesheet updates, auto-naming, etc. Lots of features. Also, GPI stuff to turn on RECORDING lights, etc.

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 08-27-2004, 09:55 AM

And digi, can you please, please, please, please add an error report when the Timecode received is different from the timecode of the session.
pretty please. every other piece of software I have used will do this.

www.markhensley.tv
Old 08-27-2004, 01:00 PM

Quote:
My experience, daily, with Pro-Tools using machine control continues to be a complete nightmare.
Pro-Tools losing it's preferences and not wanting to synch is an ongoing issue.
The only preference I've ever seen it lose is Stop at Shuttle Speed Zero!

Digidesign, please fix this in a v6.4.1cs1/v6.4cs9 release! It is a bug that should not be deferred.
Quote:
I still find the need to use beepfiles in a session a bit of a nightmare.
At least with a synchronizer, you type in the cue locate point, and away you go. End of story.
Really? I remember having to type in the cue point in the MicroLynx, then store it to a macro (F1?), and having to configure some really buried settings to make the beeps audible and the GPI fire off a light. Yea, I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you on that one.
Quote:
All it takes is for one person to change one of a zillion preferences in Pro-tools to turn an ADR session into a pain in the ass, and have you, as the engineer, looking like a fool.
That's a blanket statement. Changing any preference can make any session a nightmare.
Quote:
Also, if you are going to do ISDN sessions with remote lock, you'll want a synchronizer. Unless you have a failproof, and I mean failproof, way of doing this without a synchronizer.
Perhaps I'm spoiled by non-linear picture, but I've locked up over ISDN using MachineControl without incident. Even using tape it works, of course the problem with tape is shuttling it around, but even a synchronizer has to shuttle tape, though to their credit they do seem to shuttle faster.
Quote:

Quote:
Create a beep file, and spot the beep file so you get a three beep countdown (like the MicroLynx would do). Consolidate your created countdown into a single file. Place your cursor where the talent is supposed to come in with the line, then switch to the grabber, and control+Apple+click the countdown region and it will spot the tail of the countdown to where the talent is supposed to come in.
No.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Not really. You only have to the first part once - ever, you just keep it in your pops folder or where ever. So in actual practice your only spotting the region. Also a nice box that will drive everything is nice BUT everything has to be set up to chase the synchronizer (more settings that can go wrong). If your using digital picture the whole synchronizer rout just to get beeps IS overkill. I looked into it because we really wanted to use wipes instead of beeps but the switch was not only more complicated it was quite expensive. If your working to tape, film or a V1 I could see where it wouldn't change the setup that much and it would make sense except that it is still very expensive for a few beeps.