Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 08-19-2004, 12:55 PM

Default canopus troubleshooting - PLEASE HELP!

just got my canopus advc100 hooked up, digitizing fine, finally got it hooked up into PT today. here's what i'm running:

single 1.6g mac g5 running 10.3.3
768mb ram
002R running ptLE 6.4
two firewire drives - one glyph one owc, both look identical and are oxford911 7200 rpm
canopus running dv video of course

right off the bat i'm getting -6093 errors. i've got it worked down to being able to play 10-30secs without an error by moving the video file to the system drive, turning off ALL the os fanciness (no dock animation, font smoothing off, plain color on desktop, no clock, etc), and tweaking dae buffer, disk usage, and hw buffer size. i'm currently downloading 10.3.3 and 6.4cs7 just to see if they help. the only combo of fw order i haven't tried is canopus alone on a fw port and drives hanging off of the 002R which i will do right away.

otherwise, which of any of the following would make a difference:
- upgrading to dual proc g5
- adding ram (can't remember how much more i could add?)
- getting fw800 drives or an adapter to put some device on the fw800 port
- mbox??!!? would at least take some load off the fw bus if that's the problem. of course can i still work as hard as i do on my 002R?

of course if none of this will really help then i have to look at going to HD ($$$$).

thank you so much for any tips or tricks.

-adam-
Old 08-19-2004, 04:04 PM

Default Re: canopus troubleshooting - PLEASE HELP!

I'm not sure what your problem is but this may help in what it is not.
My system:
ADVC100
Lscie 7200FW (Oxford-911)
Lacie d2 7200FW (Oxford-911)
Lacie DVD RW FW
All from one FW port
PB G4Ti 400MHz, 384MB
HD2 Accel in a Magma CB4qt
PT 6.2, OS10.2.8

No problem except for a little sluggish if I have too many plug-in windows open or zoomed in, or deep track count.

Hope this helps to eliminate some for troubleshooting.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:54 PM

thanks rob but i'm afraid the real thing to your advantage is the HD2! i'm making good money on this feature but not that good.

i can't seem to get much better with this setup, so any advice still appreciated. in fact doing some experiments its not specifically the canopus at all -- even having the dv qt window floating over my PT i'm getting the error. DIGI, this is an "approved" setup - how do i actually make it play?

two things i've considered, though, which you can also comment on:

1) going the aurora route. $1k, and not officially supported, but seems to be decent. or dc30 with the little 5squared osX patch. will either of those help much just by virtue of relieving the fw bus?

2) a second lcd monitor set at 800x600 and just put the qt over there. same question.

THANKS everyone. i know this topic has been beat up some around here but i can't find anything specific to my situation...

-adam-
Old 08-19-2004, 08:59 PM

Quote:

single 1.6g mac g5 running 10.3.3
-adam-
Adam,

I don't think 10.3.3 has been approved. Probably won't solve your problem, but you might want to look at 10.3.4.

Frank
Old 08-23-2004, 10:39 AM

Adam,

You should check in the digidesign site the Support/compatibility with 002R, firewire drives and canopus.

They advice to copy the movie to an internal drive and to use OS 10.3.4

Hope this helps

Antonio
Old 08-23-2004, 12:56 PM

Would another firewire card help? A PCI based one?
Old 08-23-2004, 01:58 PM
Avid

Adam,

If you haven't done so already, try searching the answerbase for "6093." There's several records that may apply.

http://answerbase.digidesign.com

-Jordan
Old 08-24-2004, 09:48 AM

i had checked all the answerbase stuff, compato docs, etc, and had tried most of those recommendations.

fwiw, its now working almost flawlessly, though i don't know why. the first time i tried it and actually got it to work, i had happened to toggle the digital/analog in switch back and forth several times for no particular reason. AND, the cables hooked up to the inputs were disconnected.

so its possible that toggling the switch and getting it to digital in made the difference. OR, even wierder, that having the cables physically plugged to the inputs made the box constantly look for an input or something?

i have no idea but its working now and i've even got my plugs going and still running ok, at least for now. knocking on wood as a type.....

thanks for the tips.

-adam-
Old 08-24-2004, 10:00 AM

AS SOON as i posted my last reply, i closed safari, opened protools (same session, same settings, same devices plugged in to the same cables as yesterday) and its giving me the errors. someone PLEASE help!!! if there was something i knew i could do to resolved this, i would. but its so inconsistent its frustrating!!! i'll report back if i discover anything else but frankly i'm not optimistic.

-adam-
Old 08-24-2004, 11:02 AM

I believe that canopus has an auto input detector.
I also think you can switch it off. Underneath the canopus box you have some dip switches. Try that and good luck...

Antonio