Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-25-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Mic Recommendation

Hi there,

Basically, I am looking for advice on what mic to buy.

I have spent many hours searching on this topic, but still don't feel confident or knowledgable enough to make my purchase. Part of the problem with mics is that you can't generally return them if you don't like them, and you can't really try them out before buying them. And I haven't been able to find information specific enough to my objectives yet.

I currently have an Octava MK319, which has worked fine while I have been learning PT for the past year and a half, but now I am kind of ready to take it to the next level. I want a mic that is going to give me the ability to make my recordings sound more professional. I want to achieve a cleaner sound with a mic that picks up more of the nuances of my vocals and guitar playing than I am able to achieve with the $70 Octava that I have currently.

As far as buget, I don't want to spend a thousand bucks. I was originally looking at mics in the $300-400 range, but would be willing to spend as much as $600 if it would make that big of a difference, but am relatively flexible.

I am just recording my own music-singer/songwriter type stuff. All acoustic, vocals and guitar. Think folk, Nick Drake/Iron and Wine type stuff. I don't know if I should mention any of the models I have been looking at, or just see what you guys have to throw out as suggestions.

Look forward to hearing back from ya.

Thanks in advance for any help!