How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2024, 07:26 AM

Default Time for an Upgrade?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some friendly advice on how I might upgrade my current system for a better workflow. As you'll see below, my system is quite dated and has effectively stopped working due to compatibility issues. I've been using Pro Tools in tandem with Reason, but the latter will no longer load for some reason I haven't been able to figure out yet. Therefore, since my system is so old, I thought it might be smart to ask all the wise folks here about what I should do. Could someone please point me in the right direction on how I might upgrade my system moving forward?

Here are my specs:
Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
Processor 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory 6 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB
Pro Tools 2020.12.1
Reason 6

Thanks so much for your time and any advice you can offer!
Old 01-22-2024, 07:50 AM

Default Re: Time for an Upgrade?

Sorry, forgot to list my OSX is 10.13.6
Old 01-22-2024, 07:51 AM

One guy’s experience: upgraded from a working (most of the time) Win 10 system to a Mac M1 Studio Max, with 1tb system drive and 64gb ram. Also have a Sonnet TB chassis, with 2 Samsung m.2 “drives” and a UA Octo card. Interface is a UA Apollo 8 (tb 2).
OS is Ventura. Zero issues. It just works, every time.
Old 01-22-2024, 08:35 AM

You don't mention current workload or ambitions.

Without knowing that...... assuming you will keep nearly steady...

I suggest that if you got 'almost brand new' hardware, you'd be set up the most for the future 13 years.

Also, if that hardware is 'almost the same specs' (quad core, 6 GB RAM) etc, then with the new versions, I would guess your performance would increase.

That combination of choice factors might optimize cost and potential.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 01-22-2024, 08:54 AM

Thanks for the responses! I also neglected to mentioned that I'm using a M Box Pro for my interface. My current workload is zero since I haven't been able to effectively use Pro Tools in tandem with Reason to record with VIs. If I could get that issue fixed, my workload would be daily usage of the software for commercial purposes.

I'm just a little confused on what I should upgrade to, honestly. Should I get a nearly new desktop, interface, plus upgrade Pro Tools and Reason to newer versions - the whole shebang?
Old 01-22-2024, 02:50 PM

To be honest, your existing system is quite outdated. Your Mac Pro is 13-14 years old, which is 3-4 lifecycles for computers. Your Mbox Pro (3rd gen) "end of life" date is over 5 years ago. Your Reason 6 is many generations old ad the current version is Reason 12. So...I would recommend you go for replacing the whole "shebang" as you said. Of course it depends on your budget and what you intend to do with the system (hobbyist, singer-songwriter, personal home studio, podcasts, recording a band, project studio, mobile recording, commercial studio, post production, etc.). Share what your budget is and what you intend to do and we can recommend some solutions.

Don't just buy stuff. Research and plan where you want to go with this. Get the best computer (processor) you can afford to last several years. Research what plugins (signal processing and virtual instruments) you intend to use and determine how much memory and storage they require. If you go with Apple Silicon processors, ensure the plugins are updated to be native Apple Silicon compatible. Determine if you intend to use DSP (HDX, Native, UAD, etc.) Get an interface with adequate IO for your current and foreseeable needs. Get the latest version of Protools in the correct tier for your needs (Artist, Studio, Ultimate).

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1