How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2017, 06:00 PM

Default How to Change Font Size

Hello all,

This is my first time on this forum, and my first time trying to use ProTools, so if this is somewhere obvious and I missed it, my apologies. I looked in the manual and searched here and on other sites and didn't find an answer, so...

I'm visually impaired and have a hard time reading any of the text in ProTools. The drop down windows (File, Edit, etc.) are adjusted to my system font sizes and are fine, but everything inside the Edit window for example is tiny.

When I googled it, all I found really old posts from 7-10 years ago saying it was impossible to change the font, but I'm /really/ hoping that this program isn't that bad with accessibility by this point.

In case it didn't show up in my signature correctly, I'm using ProTools 12 on a PC running Windows 8. Not sure what other specs there even are, so I don't know what else to list. Any help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
-Eriias
Old 11-10-2017, 07:20 PM

Default Re: How to Change Font Size

This might be a tough one as Pro Tools really doesn't allow for this. My recommendation would be to use a large 1080P flat-screen TV as your monitor and push the video resolution as low as the hardware allows. I have run 1368x640(the second figure might not be correct as its been a while) on a 52" TV and I could read text from my couch, a good 7' away. Currently, I use a 43" LED TV as my main screen(about 4' away from my face) and find it very nice(but my eyes are fairly normal). Most graphics cards will have no trouble connected to the HDMI input on any modern TV, but I would stay away from any 4K sets as that would work against your needs

You might also explore settings available in Windows. And if you do go with a TV, be prepared to adjust some settings. #1 on that list is likely to be dropping the brightness to around 50%, and you might be able to tweak color settings to give less eye strain by toning down the whites.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-11-2017, 09:05 AM

Seriously? Like I said, I saw posts of users asking for this feature all the way back to 2004, and it /still/ doesn't exist? Sorry, I don't mean to sound like I'm ranting at you, Dave; I appreciate your help in thinking up a workaround. But it's super frustrating that a big name program like this /still/ doesn't care about visually impaired users like me this late into its existence.

Do you know if there's a way to set the screen resolution so it'll change back when I leave the program? Having to go into control panel every time I want to use (and stop using) ProTools sounds really annoying...
Old 11-11-2017, 09:08 AM

What is your screen resolution set to now?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:13 AM

currently 1920x1080, the default for this monitor.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriias View Post
currently 1920x1080, the default for this monitor.
Maybe you could use a macro to automate the change Albee is talking about?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:20 AM

I'm actually not very computer savvy....I remember that 'macro' means a button that does some custom command (from my time back in World of Warcraft XD) but I have no idea how to set something like that up outside of a game. Could you please point me in the right direction?
Old 11-11-2017, 09:29 AM

1920x1080, and what size is the screen? My "average" eye sight is okay with a 27" screen, but bigger is likely better There is also a feature somewhere in Windows that will magnify a section around the mouse pointer, which might be of value You might also ask your ophthalmologist about glasses specific to reading computer screens?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-11-2017, 09:37 AM

That is a good question....errrr, just now taking a ruler to my screen lol, I'd estimate it's about 11'' by 18''? Wait those are normally in one thing, maybe the diagonal...? Then about 21'' if that's the relevant number.

Unfortunately, I've already done about as much as I can on the out-of-computer end; I have a condition called Nystagmus that, simply put, makes glasses not all that helpful. I have super strong glasses and even with them on am still very close to legally blind. I can use other programs and such that work kindly with overall system settings (e.g. Word and Chrome etc.) and allow their fonts to be set to what the whole computer is using.

I could look into that magnifier pointer setting...again, that sounds like it'd be really annoying in other programs where I don't need it, so I'd like an easy way to set it to only work within ProTools...hmm....
Old 11-11-2017, 10:08 AM

Maybe some of these ideas would work?https://mcmw.abilitynet.org.uk/magni...n-windows-8-1/
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume