Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2004, 08:35 AM

Default MIDI Recording causing Protools to Freeze

I'm new to the Protools and have been experiencing some rather frustrating problems using Protools with recording MIDI.

Each time I attempt to record my second Midi track (using a Korg Triton) Protools freezes. The only way for me to release the session is to close down Protools and reboot the PC. The reboot is needed cause the protools process remains running (hung) even after closing the applicaton.

I've rebooted and re-tried the process however, I experience the same problem each time. I've monitored system resources on my PC at the time and CPU utilization is low and memory utilization seems acceptable (averaging 30% utilization) No other applicatons of unnecessary processes are running at the time.

Here's more info on my session setup:

Hardware & software:
------------------
Protools 6.4, MBOX, PC- P4 2.4GB Processor,512MB, MIDI MAN MIDISport 2x2, Windows XP

Session:
--------
5 MIDI tracks in protools using Midiman MIDI B output triggering MPC3000 samples
2 MIDI track in prottools using Midiman MIDI A output triggering Korg Triton (recorded 1 track without issue, 2nd track record causes Freezing)

Midi Record track is setup as such:
------------------------------------
Midi In A - ALL
Midi Out A - midi channnel 2

Thanks!!!

Old 05-06-2004, 09:43 AM

Default Re: MIDI Recording causing Protools to Freeze

You may need to update the Midiman drivers. They have new drivers and its possible its conflicting with the Mbox USB.

You may also want to change USB ports for the midiman or Mbox. Avoid a hub for either.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 05-06-2004, 10:22 AM

I'm not using a usb hub but I'll definitely give the driver update a try.

thanks

Old 05-06-2004, 10:28 AM

nah, I just confirmed that I have the latest XP drivers for the Midisport installed.

anyone else??
Old 05-06-2004, 10:45 AM

Hi,

The unfortunate solution to your problem is to get rid of the midisport and get another midi router. I had exactly the same problem after I updated to XP. It seems that protools versions 5.3.1 and higher dont like the midisport. As soon as i tried to play a few midi notes while playing back the system would just hang and make horrible noises at me.

Another DUC'er had the same problem and changed to the emagic MT4. Taking his advice I did the same and haven't had any problems since. (Incidentally the MT4 is USB as well which is good) However, I'm sure there are others out there using different midi routers without problems which might be cheaper. But I can tell you for certain that your problem will be solved if you use the MT4.

All the best,

Ben
Old 05-06-2004, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the tip....very interesting but definitetly worth a shot.

Much appreciated.

Old 05-06-2004, 12:02 PM

Quote:
"Hi,

The unfortunate solution to your problem is to get rid of the midisport and get another midi router. I had exactly the same problem after I updated to XP. It seems that protools versions 5.3.1 and higher dont like the midisport. As soon as i tried to play a few midi notes while playing back the system would just hang and make horrible noises at me. "
While it is a good tip, its not accurate at all. I run 5.3.1, with a Korg Triton, and a Midiman 2x2 like yourself, and everthing works perfectly. Your problem lies elsewhere. Keep searching.

I have a sound blaster midi hooked to a Midi Device, and both MIDImans hooked to devices, and the 001 Midi-outs to a device.

Im going to guess its a problem with the MPC3000.

=-Ben
Old 05-06-2004, 12:27 PM

Thanks, I'm still investigating but, the problem isn't with the mpc3000 as I imported the mpc midi file into Protools and it plays back the sequence without issue.

The problem is when I use the Triton to record a new MIDI track.

Funny thing is I recorded a simple one line melody on MIDI channel 1 using the triton without a problem. When I switch to a new MIDI channel (Midi 2) and began recording more notes (chord progressions) that's when Protools started to wig out and freeze.

thanks!
Old 05-06-2004, 12:31 PM

Hmm
when I get home from work we can check/compare settings on your Triton. Midi Thru enabled?
Old 05-06-2004, 12:39 PM

I believe it is... i will also check my midi settings on my Triton when i get home.... i appriecate the help!

Just to let you know, I also have Cubase SX also running on the same system with the MidiSport and with the same Triton midi configuration and I haven't had an issue yet.

thanks again.