Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2018, 02:09 PM

Default Consolidating

Just a had a quick question. So when i go and consolidate all my tracks will the tracks that i have panned left and right stay left and right? Also will the clips that i separated and adjusted the volume of slightly in a track remain the same volume after consolidation? Thanks yall

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2018, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Consolidating

Consolidate leaves all panning automation, volume the same. Nothing is made permanent. Only things like clip effects/clip gain/fades/edits are made permanent. So if you adjusted clip gain and edited clips and consolidate them all together, you will end up with one file with the different clip gains made permanent. Basically: after doing a consolidate, it will sound exactly the same as before consolidate as long as you leave it in the same track but now as a solid file with everything zeroed out (clip gain goes back to default, no clip effects, no fades since they are now baked in, etc)

If you want to apply automation (panning, volume), you need to use bounce.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Consolidate leaves all panning automation, volume the same. Nothing is made permanent. Only things like clip effects/clip gain/fades/edits are made permanent. So if you adjusted clip gain and edited clips and consolidate them all together, you will end up with one file with the different clip gains made permanent. Basically: after doing a consolidate, it will sound exactly the same as before consolidate as long as you leave it in the same track but now as a solid file with everything zeroed out (clip gain goes back to default, no clip effects, no fades since they are now baked in, etc)

If you want to apply automation (panning, volume), you need to use bounce.
So those tracks that are left and right wont stay left and right after consolidating? But the clip gains fades and edits will stay? Sorry i know you just answered this lol just trying to be clear lol thanks again

Old 05-01-2018, 02:53 PM

The panning stays with the track (track automation) not the clip. Consolidate works on the clip. So if the consolidated clip is still in the same track, the panning will still be the same.

Moving the clip to a different track (unless you have "automation follows" turned on and wrote the panning as automation) the panning will not be there. If you want those things to become part of the new audio file, you need to bounce.

Quote:
But the clip gains fades and edits will stay?
Those get baked in with a consolidate (made permanent) to the new consolidated clip.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
The panning stays with the track (track automation) not the clip. Consolidate works on the clip. So if the consolidated clip is still in the same track, the panning will still be the same.

Moving the clip to a different track (unless you have "automation follows" turned on and wrote the panning as automation) the panning will not be there. If you want those things to become part of the new audio file, you need to bounce.

Those get baked in with a consolidate (made permanent) to the new consolidated clip.
Perfect thank you!