Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2020, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Do I NEED an external sound card to run Protools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Why not just run native WASAPI?
I was just about to ask the same thing.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-14-2020, 01:26 PM

Can you get WASAPI to run reliably in shared mode? Allowing windows audio to share a device? I never got that to work reliably...
Old 10-14-2020, 02:00 PM

I second the vote to install Reaper instead of Pro Tools. Or at least in addition. It's far more efficient and works like a charm on Windows. But by all means, get a little Focusrite interface. They just work, and they sound good. That and a pair of half decent headphones, and users are set.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 10-14-2020, 04:15 PM

I have a Scarlett 2i2 that I'm happy with as my mobile interface, I think the Solo would be a fine choice for a basic interface.

Get a set of basic active (powered) monitors like these: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tudio-monitors (I don't have any experience with them, but Presonus is a good brand) and 1/4" TRS to TRS cables to connect them and you should be at least able to run Pro Tools and get sound in and out.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 10-14-2020, 05:11 PM

Default Do I NEED an external sound card to run Protools?

This is something that should have been posted to the getting started part of the forum. First of all did you purchase pt 2020. That’s quite an investment in itself, not counting the interface. If you did, don’t expect to enter the racetrack with a stock car. According to your computer specs. You might be able to run it using an external keyboard and mouse. However since it’s essentially a tablet, don’t expect to hit the finish line at full throttle. Try “protools first” on a supported computer, either desktop or laptop. Try it out, then take the plunge afterwards. Post to getting started to get the basics. Realize it’s a considerable investment. I wanted to add that the surface is essentially a combo tablet laptop. You should be able to run it in laptop mode.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by spinsong; 10-14-2020 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:45 PM

In post #6 the OP corrects himself and notes that this is not a Microsoft Pro 2, but rather a Microsoft Studio Pro 2 as found here. Substantially different.

Memory (min 16gb) and chip (i7) seem fine for many uses, but the screen resolution could well be problematic.

I've not read all the posts, but the OP seems to have PT installed and did not mention any issues with regard to scaling. I'd recommend the OP to test as many plug-ins as practical for scaling issues.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:01 AM

Wow!

Thanks for the great replies, guys. Not one, "Do them a favour and run away, little boy." comment.

These are interesting suggestions that are bringing up great search results of people doing exactly what the Library is trying to do. Ive got some reading to do.

Finally get access to the equipment today and tomorrow. Will try to get it working (for arguments sake) without an external interface. The external ASIO interface has been ordered and will take a week.

Respect to the PT community! Thanks again.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:08 AM

Default Do I NEED an external sound card to run Protools?

One last thing, I would like to mention, is that a word simple as studio, or a pair of quotation marks as in my previous post can make a world of difference. Basically that “studio” pc is a desktop, and the quotation in my previous post points to a software title.

Old 10-15-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I was just about to ask the same thing.
The only reason I tried ASIO4All is PT wouldn't open because it was "Unable to locate hardware." Once I got ASIO4all installed PT opened and I thought I was out of the woods! lol. I was just scratching the woods. When the static happened I realized I had reentered the woods and these are The Woods of Musician/Engineer. Here the lingo like ASIO and testing plugins are new but not that complicated the more I read.

I'm wondering if (when I get to the library in a couple hours) I'll be able to just press "N" without ASIO4All installed, change to WASAPI settings and Pro Tools will load without the interface OR ASIO4all. That would be great! They bought the interface but it'd be great to see that WHOEVER chose PT and Surface knew it "could" run like this.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:42 AM

I’m sorry to say that if you are running a library, you can’t run pt 2020 without allowing access to your account info. You’re better off running pt first so that the users can sign in under their own account.