Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2000, 05:53 AM

Default Powermix 5.0!...?

Where's Assman when you need em?

I'm excited about this Koblo/Bitheadz virtual synth-apalooza. The only thing missing from the scratch-pad-on-a-powerbook solution is _Powermix with PT5.0's new midi muscle_.

Will this happen?

Old 01-22-2000, 06:38 AM

Default Re: Powermix 5.0!...?

Pro Tools LE software (not the older "DAE PowerMix") is what you'll need to get this capability going when its released. (LE runs on Digi 001 and AM III, and is bundled with both for new sales).
DirectConnect for Pro Tools LE is the technology you'll need to run host-based synths and samplers on Pro Tools LE, and it's coming soon. You can read about it in detail on this website. We're shipping DirectConnect for TDM (Mac) right now, and we'll be demoing the Pro Tools LE compatible version for Macintosh at NAMM, and will get it out as soon as we possibly can. DirectConnect is currently a Plug-In that you place in your session, and it'll be free... In the mean time, you might want to pick up on Pro Tools LE v5.0 so you'll be ready to go.
Old 01-22-2000, 07:15 AM

Thanks for the info, Dave.

That is clarifying. I will have to read more about PT LE on the website. I was under the impression that it required one of the other digi cards (AMIII, etc) to run. You seem to suggest that it will run completely native...

I picked up Koblo Studio 9000 and I've just started to toy with Direct Connect; that's the basis for my excitment.

Here is my hoped-for scenario: 'functional' interchangability between my tdm system and some other 'native' station (digi 001 on a G4 or purely native on a powerbook). So, for example, I could create a session at home (using Koblo or bitheadz as a soundsource and minimal audio recording, say an acoustic guitar track), bring it to work, pop it into mix+, and finish it off...or take a session from work home to continue editing on it. So on and so forth.

I have a question related to the behavior of plug-ins in these scenarios. I understand that certain plugs will intelligently open depending on the system present: tdm or rtas (McDsp will do this, i believe). But, if I have a mix+ session with some esoteric, tdm-only plug-ins opened (e.g. DSPider or Ultratools or ampfarm) and I then open this session in PT LE to do some additional editing, when I bring it back to tdm-world will those plugs be remembered? Did that make sense at all?

Let me again beat the drum of encouragement for digi to continue pushing midi features into PT. I have made the jump from using SVP to PT5.0 for scoring. It is a piece of cake and quite impressive for short form work, but long-form scoring is gonna require some independant way to address different cues. I hope you geniuses have something up your collective sleaves in this regard!

And while I'm on this milk crate: if any midi controller data is present on a track, make the controller # BOLD in the selection pull-down, please.

Thanks for your fine work in this area, Dave. Let me just say that this capability (taking sessions home) is gonna make my family life a little more manageable! (Hopefully)
Old 01-25-2000, 12:11 AM

Forget about it Bryan !

If you read Dave's post carefully you will see that You do indeed need an AMIII or 001 to run PT Le. In fact, that is all you can run on these hardware configs. Digi has deceided to screw the customer out of features they have already paid for by removing Time Code,among other things, from the "Le" version of the software. What is even worse is that You no longer even have the option to run the REAL version of PT on the AMIII or 001 systems.

kasper