Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 06-04-2016, 02:25 PM

Default Pasting automation to selection, independantly of start selection

Wow. . .

So I know about the annoyingness of PT pasting your automation data to the entire timeline, when using "write automation to selection" if you start playback WITHOUT first selecting the region you want to effect. But is there another automation technique to accomplish this, if that's what you're really after?

What I mean is, 80% of the time I will need to stop, preview a section, find my automation (EQ etc.) and then I can make sure to have properly selected what I want and do my manually-write-automation-to-selection and its fine. But sometimes, especially for long, static sections (Ambience eqs, for example), it would be great to be able to do them 'on the fly', without having to stop, select, and then paste and write.

Is there no way to force PT to paste that automation data onto the selection only, and not the whole bloody timeline?

thanks

On 10HD still btw
Old 06-05-2016, 01:56 AM

Default Re: Pasting automation to selection, independantly of start selection

A wonderful idea/trick by Gary Gegan: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/post...tion-help.html

Basically :
Preview , timeline insertion , playback , tweaking ,
make a selection somewhere else without stopping
automation window : deselect everything, that shall not be written,
write-to-all-enabled (yes, not write-to-selection),
disable Preview (to empty the Preview buffer, take parameters out of isolation).

And for the automation window for disable parameters, i like, concerning e.g. Eq automation : alt-click PLUG IN, click PLUG IN.

Naturally, for a plug-in automation, any other plug-in on that track must be set to automation safe.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 06-07-2016, 07:26 PM

Not sure if this totally answers the question, but there are two really good shortcuts - "Write To Current" (cmd \) and "Write To All Enabled" (alt cmd \)

First, you have to turn off "Link timeline and edit selection". This allows you to make a selection, but still independently move the cursor around.

Then, if you make a selection, no matter how long or short, across as many tracks as you want, then park the cursor anywhere up in the timecode bar at the top of the edit window, you can paste a snapshot of the automation from clips directly under the cursor to the entire selection. "Cmd\" just pastes the one parameter that is selected, "alt-cmd \" pastes ALL automation to the selection.

This works across multiple tracks, depending on how many you have selected, so you can copy a snapshot of the automation from all tracks of a scene to any other section of the timeline. This is an incredibly powerful function that surprisingly few people seem to know about. You don't need to use Preview, or disable anything, and it only pastes to the selection, so there are no issues of writing over the entire timeline.

If you like that, have a play with "Glide to Current" and Glide to all Enabled". Lets you change all automation parameters gradually, over whatever range you select, over as many tracks as you want.

Only available in HD, of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by philip_purcell; 06-07-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_mendritzki View Post
Wow. . .

So I know about the annoyingness of PT pasting your automation data to the entire timeline, when using "write automation to selection" if you start playback WITHOUT first selecting the region you want to effect. But is there another automation technique to accomplish this, if that's what you're really after?

What I mean is, 80% of the time I will need to stop, preview a section, find my automation (EQ etc.) and then I can make sure to have properly selected what I want and do my manually-write-automation-to-selection and its fine. But sometimes, especially for long, static sections (Ambience eqs, for example), it would be great to be able to do them 'on the fly', without having to stop, select, and then paste and write.

Is there no way to force PT to paste that automation data onto the selection only, and not the whole bloody timeline?

thanks

On 10HD still btw
Here's my way to copy paste single track automation or whole blocks of automation without even using copy/past or stopping playback. More or less the same idea that Philip posted but without turning timeline/edit selection-linking on and off all the time.

It work very well for B/Gs when your settings are mostly static during track-laying.

1) Zoom your time-line out so you can see the elements that you want to copy from and the section you want to paste to.

2) Click your cursor into the section with the source scene and hit play.

3) While PT is playing that scene quickly select across the target segment. Only the tracks you want to paste to (while PT is still playing the other scene)

4) Hit command-alt-/

Result: since PT is still "reading" the automation from the source scene by hitting command-alt-/ you are essentially writing that automation to your selection. Same as doing to copy/paste must much faster and lets you stay in the flow.

Note that this only works if the target segment is on the same tracks as the source. Also note that depending on the length of the source scene you have to be quick and make sure that PT is still playing over the section you want to "copy" when you hit command-alt-/ otherwise you will flatten your target section with wrong automation. To avoid this you can put PT in loop playback so it loops around the source segment till you have "pasted".

The other thing I do is jump to the source scene. Suspend automation. Goto target section. command-alt-/. Un-suspend automation. Also pretty fast when you have a soft-key on a controller.

BTW: When using the preview and write to selection combo I don't stop before making the selection. I make the selection while still playing, tweak with preview on. THEN I stop and write to selection to force PT to recognize the selection made. Also GuardianAngel is always running in B/G to save me from fatal mistakes and to click away the nag-screens.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip_purcell View Post
...You don't need to use Preview, or disable anything, ...
The advantage of using Preview with WTAE for certain situations can be, that there is no currently writing automation.
As I understood the technique : one does not need to stop , but can go back on the fly 30 seconds or so, to quickly correct something (send level on a clip a little bit less, e.g.); without interrupting the playback for the director.
Or in advance.
And in the case of that send level example, it is necessary to disable everything than send level in the automation window; especially, when there is already varying/non-static automation.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 06-08-2016, 07:59 AM

What do you think about this approach ? :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJRZztAjlz0

Write-to-all-enabled is only used in a small selection, where it should be anyhow. Followed by copy-special-plugin.
The rest is done with repeat-to-fill and thin-all (for easyness : scripted softkeys on a second keyboard / self-defined shortcuts).
On the fly, no stopping, no overwriting of other parameter.

(Maybe just unpracticable PT-Sudoku.)
Old 06-08-2016, 08:17 AM

If you are working with another mixer who currently has control of the system and you want to work in a location other than the current playhead location, you will probably want to disable transmit and receive play selections in the Synchronization preferences.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:01 PM

Another quick, easy way to do it in real time:

1. Select the range you want to affect.
2. Control-Cmd-click the parameter you want to adjust. This displays its automation line.
4. Cmd-\ This puts break points at beginning and end of selection on that parameter.
5. Adjust the parameter's automation line with the mouse while playing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk