Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2009, 09:17 PM

Default Recording External Midi SysEx from Roland/Yammie/Korg Gear .... Ugghg!

I have hardware song/pattern sequence data that I record into Protools via Interfaces totaling 8 ports in 13 ports out.

The Midi Note AT Velo Bend PG# CC# record beautifully as intended for the intended device port and channel...

So why am I writing this post?

No matter what I attempt to do Midi SySEx does not Record INTO Protools! from my Roland or Yammie Gear

I check every possible combination of midi filter and manually inputting SysEx strings etc.. but no advil Same with my Rx/Tx settings on my Hardware sequences.

Devices I am attempting to Rx/Tx specific NRPN/RPN/SysEx from is Roland JX305/D2 Yamaha CS6x/RM1x - its no suprise that my Korgs work as intended with sys ex...

For all practical purposes, I want to transmit Roland MC505/D2/JX305 messages to change Effects Blocks in real Time. (For Example Effect A at Bar 005:01:00 and Effect B at Bar 009:01:00)

According to Roland Specification (MC505/JX305/D2) And Midi Implemation the Following should work

F0 41 10 00 0B 12 01 00 00 0D xx yy F7
xx yy = Effects Block Type
and then
00 zz 0aaa aaaa
zz = Paramiter Number
aa = Parimater Value (0-127)

But its not working?! Im constantly scratching my head and saying WTF WTF WTF WTF!?!?

Admittingly, I am no MIDI SysEx expert, but my Tx/Rx Bulk Dumps work in PT ... how oh how???

An alternative to making this work is by Manually adjusting Patterns in realtime with intened Effects Parts per Pattern to match the PT session in realtime however this makes Automation in PT very inconvienent due to manually changing the patterns.

And even by doing this process with all parts transmitting to their respective channels, Even the Global input channel on Roland Port is not Recieving SysEx...

Even tried roland Tx mode 1, Tx Mode 2, Tx Mode Off(for testing reasons), and Os SysEx Tx Enabled and TxDisabled, Loop On/Off - Local Off Local On

On PT I tested anfd tried Midi Loop/Thru Input Filter SysEx On/Off Port Id, Device Clock Tx/Rx Track Input/OutPut port(s) Differnt Ports Solo Monitor Midi Latency buffer size.......
Every possible Combination

Sigh*

Dear Sequencing Lord, show me salvation!

Maybe I'm being dumb and input the sysex in PT incorrectly? oh the shame!!!!!!! :x

EDIT: PS. I am using PT LE 7.4 on Windows XP:SP2 with MBox and MOTU(offline)/M Audio /Midi InterFaces
Old 01-23-2009, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Recording External Midi SysEx from Roland/Yammie/Korg Gear .... Ugghg!

Make sure that sysex is not filtered from input. on the midi track, select all for the input and roland or yammie device for output. confirm that the devices are setup and sending sysex data.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Recording External Midi SysEx from Roland/Yammie/Korg Gear .... Ugghg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miek07 View Post
Admittingly, I am no MIDI SysEx expert, but my Tx/Rx Bulk Dumps work in PT ... how oh how???
I can't tell for sure but are you saying you are able to transfer SysEx from the Roland and Yamaha modules when you bulk dump? If that's the case your MIDI filters should already be set up right.

Quote:
According to Roland Specification (MC505/JX305/D2) And Midi Implemation the Following should work

F0 41 10 00 0B 12 01 00 00 0D xx yy F7
xx yy = Effects Block Type
and then
00 zz 0aaa aaaa
zz = Paramiter Number
aa = Parimater Value (0-127)

But its not working?! Im constantly scratching my head and saying WTF WTF WTF WTF!?!?
If you are you trying to type in the specific sysex commands yourself, sysex commands in Roland and Yamaha devices (can't speak for Korg) require a checksum entry for the command to be valid. I have a checksum calculator I used to use that requires VBRUN300 but I've found it easier with Roland devices to enable "send Edit data" (or something like that) and then make the edit on the device manually, the specific sysex will be sent and input into a MIDI track if you have it set to record. Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:57 PM

Thanks Jon! I'm sure it was the check sum value. Also, by turning Local Switch Off and Midi Echo Thru I was able to log sys ex.

However it comes as a dissapointment that the MC505/JX305 does not transmit sysex while recording patterns.

With this in mind I just manually Nudge values to push syses commands.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon E. View Post
I can't tell for sure but are you saying you are able to transfer SysEx from the Roland and Yamaha modules when you bulk dump? If that's the case your MIDI filters should already be set up right.

If you are you trying to type in the specific sysex commands yourself, sysex commands in Roland and Yamaha devices (can't speak for Korg) require a checksum entry for the command to be valid. I have a checksum calculator I used to use that requires VBRUN300 but I've found it easier with Roland devices to enable "send Edit data" (or something like that) and then make the edit on the device manually, the specific sysex will be sent and input into a MIDI track if you have it set to record. Hope this helps.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
...it comes as a dissapointment that the MC505/JX305 does not transmit sysex while recording patterns.
Not sure what you mean. If you mean that individual MIDI note values of the arpeggiator aren't transmitted, just the controller (RPS) MIDI message, that's really not unusual for this kind of device. I took a quick look through the manual, it looks as though it does not transmit sysex other than through a bulk dump, again that's not unusual for this kind of device. It may be you have outgrown your hardware.

Quote:
With this in mind I just manually Nudge values to push syses commands.
Any sysex that gets recorded on a track can be moved, copy and pasted (but not changed...) in the sysex track view.