Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-11-2007, 09:32 PM

Default Nubie:Need Help Recording MIDI From Roland XP50 to Pro Tools

Hi All,

Does anyone know how to record MIDI from the Roland XP50 into Pro Tools?
I have been trying to figure out how to get my songs from the XP50's sequencer into PT via MIDI, using the same patches I recorded them with (the ones built in to the XP50).

I have applied all of Filosofem's advice from another post (Thanks Filosofem!):

"Configure Audio MIDI Setup (AMS) this information can be found in the 'Getting Started' Mbox 2 Guide.
Hardware configuration should be:
*Mbox 2 MIDI Out to Roland XP50 MIDI In
*Roland XP50 MIDI Out to Mbox 2 MIDI In
*Roland XP50 Audio Out Left & Right to Mbox 2 Input source 1 & 2 DI
Pro Tools Configuration should be:
*MIDI Track - MIDI Output assigned to XP50 Channel 1
*Stereo AUX - AUX Input assigned to Mbox 2 Input source 1 & 2 (Analog 1 & 2)
*MIDI Thru - checked
*Enable Input Only Monitoring
*Record enable MIDI track."

With this I do get a MIDI signal into PT. & I can hear the audio, but can only seem to record a clicking/beeping sound...I guess there is no patch being assigned to the recorded part...?

I'm not even sure what I should be looking at in the Roland Manual's section on using external MIDI devices... i.e what exactly am I trying to do? Synchronize an external sequencer to the XP50's sequencer...? Or synchronize the XP50's sequencer to an external sequencer...? Etc... Is PT (MBox 2) considered an external sequencer in this case?

Before i change a bunch of settings on the XP50 I want to make sure I'm headed in the right direction. I also need to continue to use the XP50's keyboard as my MIDI controller for PT plug-ins, so I don't want to change settings and mess that up either.

Hope this makes sense. Any help is very much appreciated!

dj

Powerbook G4
Mbox 2 Pro w/ Pro Tools LE 7.3
Roland XP50
Old 10-11-2007, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Nubie:Need Help Recording MIDI From Roland XP50 to Pro Tools

Quote:
I do get a MIDI signal into PT. & I can hear the audio, but can only seem to record a clicking/beeping sound...I guess there is no patch being assigned to the recorded part...?
Have you setup AMS - Manufacturer and Model names for the Roland XP-50? Covered in the 'Getting Started Guide'. The Roland XP-50 is listed in the generic Models list.
Quote:
I'm not even sure what I should be looking at in the Roland Manual's section on using external MIDI devices... i.e what exactly am I trying to do?
For a more condensed user-base try posting in Roland Clan Forums
Quote:
Synchronize an external sequencer to the XP50's sequencer...? Or synchronize the XP50's sequencer to an external sequencer...? Etc... Is PT (MBox 2) considered an external sequencer in this case?
Yes.

filosofem
Old 10-11-2007, 10:32 PM

If you have songs already "recorded" in your Roland, you should also look up something called Midi Beat Clock in the PT User manual. You will want to synchronize the two sequencers (Roland and PT) and the way to do that is by using Midi Beat Clock. That way they both run at the same tempo and you'll be able to easily edit the midi notes in Protools once they've been recorded. You should synchronize your Roland to the "external" midi sequencer, PTLE. In other words, your XP50 should be in "slave" mode and then you run PTLE and it should then begin playing the song (if you have it in song mode).

If you don't use Midi Beat Clock (sometimes simply called Midi Clock), your midi recording in PTLE will not line up to the bars exactly and it will be very difficult to edit later.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:37 PM

Hi filosofem,

I appreciate your reply!

Yes I have set up the XP-50 using the drop down list of manufacturers and models they have listed in AMS, and connected it to the Mbox 2 Pro there as well. Test is good.

Thanks for the Roland Clans Forum link - I will go there asap.

Good to know that PT/ Mbox 2 is an external sequencer. Thanks for filling me in! With that info alone I can start in the right place in the XP-50 manual.

I'll report back - thanks again!
Old 10-11-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
I have set up the XP-50 using the drop down list of manufacturers and models they have listed in AMS
In the same Mbox 2 Pro Getting Started Guide is the 'MIDI Patch Name Support' page, where this walks you through Patch Select and sets you up for Program Change assignment. This information is also covered in the Pro Tools Reference Guide respectively.

filosofem
Old 10-11-2007, 11:04 PM

Thanks lwilliam,

Yes, I have songs already recorded in the XP-50 that I want to transfer to PT. I have come across Midi Beat Clock references many times in my reading, thanks for explaining it's relevence.

Question: do the clock settings affect recording MIDI from the XP-50 to PT? Meaning, would I be having difficulties getting the XP-50 to send information via MIDI to record into PT because the clock sources were set differently? Or is it more just about getting the tempo accurate like you said? Either way, I will read up in the user manual & try it out.

Thanks for the feedback!

dj
Old 10-11-2007, 11:12 PM

Just took a quick look at that in the Getting Started Guide filosofem. Looks very poromising b/c I think my issue must be about missing patch assignments, since everything else seems to be working. I'll check it out & report back. Many thanks!

dj
Old 10-11-2007, 11:18 PM

dj, are you able to export a Type 1 SMF from the XP-50?

filosofem
Old 10-12-2007, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks lwilliam,

Yes, I have songs already recorded in the XP-50 that I want to transfer to PT. I have come across Midi Beat Clock references many times in my reading, thanks for explaining it's relevence.

Question: do the clock settings affect recording MIDI from the XP-50 to PT? Meaning, would I be having difficulties getting the XP-50 to send information via MIDI to record into PT because the clock sources were set differently? Or is it more just about getting the tempo accurate like you said? Either way, I will read up in the user manual & try it out.

Thanks for the feedback!

dj
The clock settings should not affect your ability to simply play a note on the keyboard and record it into Protools, nor would they affect Protools' ability to send midi notes to the xp50.

All the clock does is make sure that if you hit "play" in protools while the Roland is set to play a song (and in external sync mode), that Protools and the Roland run at the exact same tempo.

Exporting as an SMF file would probably be easier, but I think the xp50 only has a floppy drive, no CD burner, right? I'm also not sure of the format of the floppy discs it uses - would your Mac be able to read it? No new Macs come with floppy drives.

Remember, the two modes in the Roland: single patch or play, and then a second mode called performance, or multi or something similar. You will also need to find out how to turn "local" off. Otherwise, you will find yourself hearing doubled notes once you get PT receiving midi from the Roland.

I had a Korg M1 that I used with Protools in the late 90's and I think it had a similar architecture as the xp50. I also still own a JV80. It is actually easier to use the built in sounds from Expand! than to fiddle with external synths and multiple modes. I ended up using my M1 mainly as a sound module and getting myself an 88 note midi controller. It just made things a lot easier. However, you should be able to do all that you want to do...it may take a little trial and error to get all the settings just right.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:46 AM

filosofem,

Regarding exporting Type 1 SMF - I don't think so, at least there is nothing in the XP-50 manual that I can find. I admit, I don't know what SMF is except from the quick google search that I just did. I must take some time to understand the term & see what people are doing with regards to using it in my type of situation. I will let you know how it goes.

Just found this:
"The XP-50 features Standard MIDI File compatibility and its tone map contorms to General MIDI for conveniently playing commercial SMF song data in GM."
I'll keep investigating...

lwilliam,

Thanks for the explanation - very helpful. Yes, the XP-50 only has a floppy drive, no CD burner. I think I would be OK just using patch mode, since I would record each part/track from the XP-50 into PT individually.

If it makes this easier. I'm willing to use sounds from Xpand! instead of the Roland sounds (although I wouldn't be able to get the same drum loops which could be another hurdle). In that case, I would bus the XP-50 song tracks to Xpand...? I think? Anyway, you're right - I will try every option out until I get it right.

Sorry if I missed anything - rushing to work. Thanks for all the feedback! I'll be checking back in...

dj