Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 11-13-2000, 10:57 PM

Default Unable to reacquire hardware....

Can anyone Help? I would dearly like to run Pro Tools Free but can't!

I have an Intel Celeron 466 CPU ("Also compatible"),AMI BIOS, Intel 810 chipset, 128 meg of RAM, C-Media sound card, PCI graphics card and (only, although pretty well dedicated) 6gig hard drive (DMA enabled) running Windows 98 SE..

Program seems to install OK. When I run it, all sorts of things seem to load OK and I get the Digidesign blank page. When I try to do anything else, I get the message "DAE error -6008 was encountered" or "Pro Tools is unable to reacquire the hardware and must now exit. More system memory is needed, try quitting other applications, allocating LESS memory to Protools and DAE, or install more memory. Message ID = -6008".

Full duplex is OK - Cooledit Pro works fine.

Any ideas?

Mark Tandy
14/1/2000
Old 11-14-2000, 07:44 AM
Avid

Default Re: Unable to reacquire hardware....

Hi Mark. One of our engineers, Eric Day, recommended a couple actions to clear the 6008 error :

>PTFree requires a full-duplex sound card >with both playback and recording devices
>specified in Win98's Multimedia control >panel. If you don't have a full-duplex sound >card installed, the -6008 error can result.

I understand you have a full duplex card, so check your multimedia control panel. I hope this helps.

Tom S
Digidesign Customer Service.
Old 11-15-2000, 03:12 PM

Problem has been fixed by getting latest C-Media sound card drivers from the net.
Old 06-07-2001, 12:30 AM

Interesting, I just checked and I have the C-Media chip onboard, time to go hunting... ;^]
Old 06-07-2001, 03:55 PM

Downloaded the current CMedia drivers, no more error -6008. One wrinkle, I had to completely remove the prior device entries (sound card, legacy device, joystick etc.) before the new divers updated properly, and the C-Media mixer had to be disabled in system setup to keep it from loading into the system tray...